Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Determining how to Interface with a Device  (Read 419 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, I had started a multitouch display project last year but got hung up because I couldn't find any information to communicate with CCDs. I put the project away until I learned how to communicate with such devices. In another project I was unable to communicate with SD cards. So, I wanted to ask for advice and/or instructions on how to write interfaces to communicate with external devices.
I suppose this question only concerns CCDs and memory for now but I would really like general information that I can use for any project, optimally even if I can't find documentation. Are there ways to maybe ping a device and figure out the commands it accepts and what they do?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:17:57 am by Silhalnor » Logged

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

huh?

SNMP is your best shot to interrogate internet devices.
- if you think this answer is vague please reread your question smiley-wink  The quality of the answer always depends on the unambiguousness of the question ...

I have no clue what you trying to accomplish in concrete terms, so it is difficult to give an appropiate answer ( and yes SNMP can be seen as an interrogation protocol to some extend) Maybe you can tell us in far more about your project.   

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Yes, I wasn't sure how best to ask my question so I'm not surprised that it ended up being vague.
Ok well, for my multitouch project I've got a linear CCD (I can provide more information about it once I get home if you like) that I want to communicate with. I should probably start with communicating with an SD card though since I am sure many more people do that, thus there is more information.
So, how do I go about communicating with SD cards? A good tutorial would be good I think.
Next I will want to know how to interrogate devices. I will look into SNMP when I get home later.

Ah... actually I've suddenly started feeling a little dizzy right now. Don't know where that came from, it was really sudden. If I still haven't clarified what I need then I will try again tonight or tomorrow when I am feeling better.

Here is the project I was working on if you want more information about it.
http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/11740/

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

So, how do I go about communicating with SD cards?
Check the storage section and the SD library or the sdfat library...

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Basically, you look at the data sheet for a device and see what sort of signals it needs to recieve and what sort it gives out.

You then make sure that the voltages it expects is delivered from the arduino's lines, you might need some interface components here.

Then you write code that wiggles arduino lines up and down to give it what it needs. And reads the pins to make sense of what it gives. It is as easy / complex as that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: