Go Down

Topic: Arduino with an automatic, re-chargeable, battery back-up (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

rturk3

Feb 24, 2012, 09:52 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2012, 10:08 pm by rturk3 Reason: 1
Hello all,

I am brand new to Arduino and my first goal is to incorporate a battery back-up into the Arduino that is automatically utilized when the Arduino is unplugged, but is rechargeable when the  board is plugged back in.

Here are my thoughts:

Can I use a sparkfun powercell: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10300 with a li-po battery and connect the 5V output from this board to the Vin of the Arduino?

I know the powercell can provide 5V out and charge at the same time. So instead of powering the Arduino from it's own USB or barrel-jack, I would plug this powercell board into the wall and power the arduino from it. If the USB from the powercell is unplugged, the Arduino would be powered by the battery.

I have NO circuit design experience (yet) so I'm trying to do this as simply as possible.

CrossRoads

You'd want to power this device from a  5V or 6V wallwart and connects its 5V output to the 5V header on the arduino.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

olimexino

olimexino-328 have build-in lipo charger and automatic voltage source switching
http://www.olimex.com/dev

rturk3

So I can power the Arduino from the 5V pin no problem? I have heard some debate about this

So I can power the Arduino from the 5V pin no problem? I have heard some debate about this

I believe so, as long as you are using 5V regulated, if not then use Vin pin. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Are you looking to put something together or is a ready to go solution OK?  I have been looking at the lithium backpack from liquidware for myself, which starts around $35, this might be an option for you.

retrolefty

The only debate I can think of is if you have both an external +5vdc regulated voltage applied to the +5v pin and you then plug the USB into a PC, then you have in effect two different regulated voltage sources hardwired together. That is not considered a good engineering practice, however many do it with no negative effects.

Lefty

rturk3

I should be fine then because while in use the USB cable will power the Arduino through the powercell, vice having the powercell with battery power the 5V pin AND a USB plugged into the Arduino.

rturk3

If I'm powering the Arduino through the 5V pin, how can I then power subsequent modules? This will eventually be a wireless RFID detector.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy