Go Down

Topic: Interactive LED Wall (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Wizzup

Hey

I want to make an interactive led wall(or more like a picture) that interacts with people walking by.
The idea is to make a led picture that acts just like a mirror, but reflects your body by turning leds on.
I have not yet decided how big it should be or how many leds I'm going to use.

I have just started with Arduino and need some help with how I should build it, and what type of sensors to use.
The project is in its very first stage.

Do you guys have any ideas how I should detect peoples body?
And how to controll all the leds?

See attachment for bad illustration.

Thanks

AWOL

A bit like Daniel Rozin's wooden mirror?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Wizzup

Yes, a little bit, but mine is going to be much more simple and I'm only going to light up leds.

CrossRoads

The lighting up LEDs part is the simple part, you can do something like have a 16x32 array that represents the on/off state of the LEDs you are controlling.
16x32 = 512 bytes, a '328 chip only has 2048, so a processor with more memory would be good.

The hard part is doing the processing for the pattern recognition. You'd need to do something like take a 'snapshot' of a bright(ly lit) object in front of a dark object, then do the processing to determine light vs dark, and update your array for updating the display.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

jwatte

Depending on how mirror-like you want this, you really want a camera input. The Arduino really doesn't have enough oomph to do camera stuff. I'd look at something like a BeagleBone, or a Raspberry Pi once that ships, or perhaps a re-puposed cell phone (bonus: already comes with a camera!)

Go Up