Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: Cheap UHF spectrum analyzer (and RC tx rx) using RFM22 module  (Read 47545 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

edit: BTW did you manage to get it working?

Not yet. Waiting for RFM22 boards...

View Profile

These boards looks great! 

BTW I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, but I have found that the RF22 library is not compatible with timer based hardware servos. Very weird and hard to debug. It is because the interrupt driven read function takes too long, messing up servo PWM timings. I had to modify the library quite a bit, but now I have hardware servos! If anyone else have problems with the servo library I'll let you know what to change.

Can you upload your modifyed library or explain here what to change?  Did you solved the glitches issue with this mod?

Regards

View Profile

I'd be interested in buying a booster pcb from you (same layout as Melih for the same chip), maybe if you could design it in a way that the resistors, caps, diodes,  etc would be of a bigger size, for easier diy work...Do you manufacture these pcbs by yourself?

Yeah except I really don't know much about RF design... If I tried to make one of those high power amps it would probably catch fire!

View Profile

Can you upload your modifyed library or explain here what to change?  Did you solved the glitches issue with this mod?

Well I fixed the glitch problem awhile ago by using software servos, now hardware servos are also working, which is more processor efficient.

I will try to release a simple "reference" code sometime next week, it will include all the libraries, and will be a simple PPM->Tx->UHF->Rx->Servos thing.

Edit: Important notice, please make sure that you can find a 5V source on your radio, this board does not have a voltage regulator for the arduino, so you can not power it direct from your TX battery. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:17:33 pm by zitron » Logged

View Profile

te]
Edit: Important notice, please make sure that you can find a 5V source on your radio, this board does not have a voltage regulator for the arduino, so you can not power it direct from your TX battery. 

Well, my TX is a Graupner MC-19, I think that a LM7805 can solve the problem dont?  Anyway, I do intent to use your tx uhf with a joystick that generates the ppm signal from another arduino (details here: http://www.ianjohnston.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30:project-rc-ppm-trainer-port-joystick) I have done this on my homemade console that you can see here at work:

The joystick will be a old but cool "Top Gun" , and a pair of old T2m rudder pedals, all for FPV obviously.

View Profile

Yeah except I really don't know much about RF design... If I tried to make one of those high power amps it would probably catch fire!

Don't worry man, i have a uncle that is firefighter ... smiley-grin     If you make one RF booster, I'll test for you!  smiley-lol 

Arduino rocks
View Profile

No need to worry about that since at would be runing it at 1/7 of its total output power and in such conditions you dont even need a heatsink for the chip..

View Profile

The joystick will be a old but cool "Top Gun" , and a pair of old T2m rudder pedals, all for FPV obviously.

Wow that is pretty cool, and yes LM7805 will work fine, that's what I use. The board draws very little power.

Also I thought I should update the schematics and bill of materials, there are some slight changes. See attached.

* BOM_Rev2.pdf (31.52 KB - downloaded 66 times.)
* Schematics V3.3.pdf (74.62 KB - downloaded 69 times.)

View Profile

No need to worry about that since at would be runing it at 1/7 of its total output power and in such conditions you dont even need a heatsink for the chip..

One step at a time, let me get this simple board working properly first!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

One step at a time, let me get this simple board working properly first!

You are right! It will take me a lot of time till I'm at the stage to start building olrs....since I intend to first try and play with a diy 2.4ghz booster based on rf2126 chip...

In the meantime I'd like to ask you, which vreg could be a suitable replacement for the one Melih uses - mic5205...I read the datasheet and saw it has a really low dropout voltage or something like that..Is there any other which has a low dropout voltage but a higher maximum current?

So you use LM1117?

Regarding Melihs design besides powering the atmega and rfm22, does anything else use power (maybe the driving of the servos? and if so do they use such a small amount)? Because that mic5205 has a small max current..
Thanks!

View Profile

In the meantime I'd like to ask you, which vreg could be a suitable replacement for the one Melih uses - mic5205...I read the datasheet and saw it has a really low dropout voltage or something like that..Is there any other which has a low dropout voltage but a higher maximum current?

So you use LM1117?

Regarding Melihs design besides powering the atmega and rfm22, does anything else use power (maybe the driving of the servos? and if so do they use such a small amount)? Because that mic5205 has a small max current..
Thanks!

The RF22 only draws 85mA at full power, plus maybe 20mA for the atmega. Also the transmission only happens in quick bursts so it's not always on. The mic5205 should be plenty, since servos are powered separately from the BEC. I think any regulator will work as long as the drop out voltage is not much more than 1V, obviously lower is better to prevent brownouts.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The RF22 only draws 85mA at full power, plus maybe 20mA for the atmega. Also the transmission only happens in quick bursts so it's not always on. The mic5205 should be plenty, since servos are powered separately from the BEC. I think any regulator will work as long as the drop out voltage is not much more than 1V, obviously lower is better to prevent brownouts.

Thanks! you gave a very clear answer smiley-grin...Why does flytrons TX module have 2 vregs, mic5205 and a LM2937?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:29:58 pm by msev » Logged

View Profile

What you think about a integration of the RFM12BP with your circuit in the future? Seems to be very similar to rfm22 but with 500mw. It is possible without modifications on your code?

Regards

View Profile

Thanks! you gave a very clear answer smiley-grin...Why does flytrons TX module have 2 vregs, mic5205 and a LM2937?

They use 2 at the same time?? I really donno, will have to look at their schematics...

What you think about a integration of the RFM12BP with your circuit in the future? Seems to be very similar to rfm22 but with 500mw. It is possible without modifications on your code?

No the RFM12BP (and lower power RFM12) uses a completely different RF chip. Although there are probably arduino code for it somewhere on the intarwebs since it's been around for a while.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yep two vregs, one normal and one ldo...Is it because of the buzzer, since thats the only additional element added.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
Jump to: