Go Down

Topic: How to make frequency or tone detector (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

LMI

If input is normal music or speech, is Arduino powerfull enough for a tone detector or encoder. Pulse counting or counting zero crossings could work but it is not very noise tolerant. I want to know if certain frequency or frequencies are present in the input.

I could use some filtering but the more I filter, the less I need the microcontroller. A narrow band analog filter is easy to make after all.

Leif

sirbow2

Feb 27, 2012, 05:40 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012, 05:51 pm by sirbow2 Reason: 1
look at ne567 IC

i have no idea, but would a analog in work?
http://dduino.blogspot.com all my Arduino/electronic projects!!!

{NEW} Getting Started, Learning, Reference + FAQ PDF!!:
[url]http://ar

AWOL

Would Goertzel's algorithm work for you?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

LMI

look at ne567 IC

i have no idea, but would a analog in work?

Hi

NE567 is a good chip, although I am not sure how much it is used today, because it is so old. Analog is surely on option but I wondered if an AVR could handle this. The problem is, I now nothing about discrete math or DSP programming. And I wondeded if someone has tried something like this. "If you want to be cool, you have to use a controller." Not my exact opinion, but a microcontroller option is good to have.

Yes, Ain would probably work, and then some fancy math. Or something simpler with amplifier, smith trigger and digital input.

I have to stop now, another reply came

Leif

LMI

Heh, I had to look it up first.

Yes probably. How it is done?

LMI

Feb 27, 2012, 06:25 pm Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012, 06:33 pm by LMI Reason: 1

And where it is in C. Wikipedia has some info, but do you know a little easier way. Like a C sample

Edit #3. A C sample
http://netwerkt.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/goertzel-filter/

I dont know when I can test this. If any you have some extra info, I am happy hear it before I begin.

Magician

I want to know if certain frequency or frequencies are present in the input.

It's the whole world difference :
1. you need to detect one / few "specific" freq. - Goetzel is the best option;
2. look whatever "pop-up" in sampling pull - FFT.
For second variant, more details necessary, in order to be sure that arduino "capable" for a mission:
sampling rate, freq. selectivity / resolution (Q) of the filter?

LMI

Now it looks like I will know the frequencies before I start. And I can decide - there will 1 or 2. This so early it is easy to decide these things. So it is the Goetzel. I hope I understand the sample enough to use it.

2. look whatever "pop-up" in sampling pull - FFT.
For second variant, more details necessary, in order to be sure that arduino "capable" for a mission:
sampling rate, freq. selectivity / resolution (Q) of the filter?

What is the Q of Goetzel. If it is something like 10000, we'll newer hit it. And does it work in real life.

Go Up