Go Down

Topic: How do I calculate voltage to each LED when more than 1 pin has an LED? (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic

txmb95ads

So I got one 3.1v 1000mA LED to work with a 10V 10ohm resistor and a 12v 1 amp power supply (people told me not to but it still works). I'm wondering if I were to add another LED to another pen, how would the power supply split the voltage/current to each pin? Sorry if this is a dumb question. If the voltage stays the same and the current is split in half (something tells me it isn't this simple), I would just need to get an 18 ohm 5 watt resistor? I'm probably wrong but I don't know how multiple pins emit energy when more than one LED is plugged in.

Paul_KD7HB

If I understand the question, each LED requires it's own dropping resistor, no matter how much current it is rated to draw.

Also, resistors do not have a voltage rating, ie. 10V 10 ohm resistor.

Paul

Wawa

So I got one 3.1v 1000mA LED to work with a 10V 10ohm resistor and a 12v 1 amp power supply (people told me not to but it still works).
Sure, it works, but people told you it was a bad idea.

You wanted to use three or four LEDs.
That's a 3 or 4Amp supply.
And 30-40watt of heat.

Why didn't you continue the previous posts.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=344672.30
You almost had the answers.

Your way:
Every LED gets a 10ohm/10watt resistor.
Every LED gets a BUZ91 (not logic) mosfet.
Everything gets hot.
Leo..

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy