Go Down

Topic: xmas led project (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mrgizmo

I'm not completely sure where to start. I currently have a setup for our local parade in which we have 32 strips of LED's with 15 leds each strip, these strips are laid vertically on our vehicle. We use a LED fx controller to sequence each strip on or off depending on the selected program ( with transistor boards) It takes a full day to install these leds and each home made magnetic strip needs periodic maintenance. ( I'm going to sell the whole lot)

Now for my current project:

I am switching to RGB 3528 and 5050 led strips
Have an Arduino mega and LED painter boards
Several meters of rgb led strips

Would like to control 2 X 16 strips via the led painter and arduino, similar to the ledfx controller and possibly music controlled.

A    few questions,

Is there a way to convert a pic program to work on arduino?

Are there any programs similar to the one I would like to create?

DVDdoug

Is there a way to convert a pic program to work on arduino?
Probably, if you have the source code, and if the program is written C (not the PIC assembly language).

But, all of the I/O is going to be different,  the timing/delay will probably be different, and I'd guess that you'll have to modify about half of the lines in the code.   So, it won't be much easier than starting-over. :(  You might be able to get some hints & clues from the old software, but it's often easier to write and debug your own code rather than trying to make someone elses code work on a different system.

Are there any programs similar to the one I would like to create?
I'm not sure what kind of patterns/sequencing you are doing or how many LEDs/channels that you can address.  But, take a look at Blinkenlight Experiments.  That should get you started.

KirAsh4

Hey MrGizmo, take a look at what I did this past Xmas with custom made 5050 LED strips, controlled with an Arduino clone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ex1k8f_Nk

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy