Go Down

Topic: Multiple || in for loop? (Read 331 times) previous topic - next topic

RageRiot

Hello arduinians :)

I got my self an UNO on saturday and I've had some fun learning a shed loads about electronics and this is comming from an IT technician as it is my day job :)

I'm still in the beginner stages so I'm working with simple circuits still, in my current project I have 2 RGB leds and I wish to light up 2 colors on each so figured I'd modify my first bliking white code just blink ( or at least at this stage keep them on for testing.
my code was this
Code: [Select]
for(int i = 0; i < 6; i++)

and I changed it to this so I could basiclly ignore the green pins in my project.

void loop() {
  //I want 0 2 3 & 5
  for(int i = 0; i < 6 && i == 0 || 2 || 3 || 5; i++)
{
   digitalWrite(ledpins[i], 0);
}
}

I'm using 6 pins on PWM ( which I will later play with for fading) which goes to each color so my var ledpins is an array of 6 refering to each pins and 0 2 3 5 are red and blue.

I uploaded this code but it just light all of them up as if it ignores my OR operators but I'm guessing I'm using || wrong. I've tried a serach but havnt found any similar for loop

Thanks

RageRiot

AWOL

Feb 28, 2012, 10:46 pm Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012, 10:50 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
i == 0 || 2 || 3 || 5
i == 0 is a comparison but
all evaluate to true, because they are all non-zero.
So, you expression evaluates to
i == 0 || true || true || true
and true OR x is always true.

A much simpler approach is to have an array for each of the pins controlling each colour:
const int greenPin [] = {0, 2, 3, 5};
and then a simple for loop to step through.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

RageRiot

for(int i = 0; i < 6 && i == 0 || i == 2 || i == 3 || i == 5; i++)

I tried this also assuming that was my mistake but it still the same result

AWOL

I think you've misunderstood what the condition in a for loop is there for.

It defines the condition for sustaining (or terminating) the loop - it's a binary proposition, and as soon as the condition is false, the loop terminates.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

RageRiot

I understand that now. thank you :D

Go Up