Go Down

Topic: 2 TLC5940 problem, possible overload? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

funkyguy4000

Wow thanks for all the replies!
I will try these tonight since i'm in classes right now until 5:30 pm (central). 

Wow i feel stupid that I didn't think about linking them up in series. to get the higher resistance.  I know it isn't good for what i'm pushing through, the chip was getting a little hot.

Also i realized the example code thing to check if it was a code issue while i was taking a shower not 15 minutes ago, haha.

Thank you! i'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.
Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

funkyguy4000

Mar 01, 2012, 03:19 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2012, 03:21 am by funkyguy4000 Reason: 1
Okay! so I wired them up with the proper resistors and now it lasts longer, although there is still lotsa flickering, i'm very confused. I'm using the same code as the code at the beginning of this thread.
I took another video

The lights still turn off eventually but it isn't captured in this.  They just turn off, like BLANK was activated or something?

Turn off your speakers if you are under 18 please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yfqW1RUGIY&feature=youtu.be

I don't really have much room for capacitors on this build, does anybody have any sort of code solution?
Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

unhappyelf

I had a very similar problem with my TLC's. Unfortunately I fixed my issues with a 101 cap between the SCLK and GSCLK pins. My thread is here http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,66126.0.html. There are quite e few youtube videos there describing my problems. They were all fixed with the simple placement of the cap.

Brad Burleson

They were all fixed with the simple placement of the cap.

While I wouldn't rule out this being the problem, the OP never did say how the example code ran (there are several threads with the same code) and there are several issues with the code as shown that could cause problems.

I'd suspect the problem is that the OP isn't calling tlc_updateFades enough... note the last if statement is adding new fades even if the current fades are still in progress (due to the "if" statement not checking the correct variables - 'channel' vs 'channelOne', 'channelTwo', and 'channelThree').

Brad.

unhappyelf

They were all fixed with the simple placement of the cap.

While I wouldn't rule out this being the problem, the OP never did say how the example code ran (there are several threads with the same code) and there are several issues with the code as shown that could cause problems.

I'd suspect the problem is that the OP isn't calling tlc_updateFades enough... note the last if statement is adding new fades even if the current fades are still in progress (due to the "if" statement not checking the correct variables - 'channel' vs 'channelOne', 'channelTwo', and 'channelThree').

Brad.

True my bad......I have never used the Fades library for the TLC5940 so I would have no idea.

Go Up