Go Down

Topic: "COMM port not found" after use of external power (Read 679 times) previous topic - next topic

Apologies if this question has been asked before - couldn't find anything like it !
I have my Arduino Uno attached to my laptop (running WinXP) and the port assigned is COMM4.   
I can download my code and it runs fine when my C++ application is talking to it via USB (COMM port 4)
However, the nature of the application is such that I need to power the Arduino externally (having set it up) and remove the USB cable.   Some time later, I need to be able to reconnect the USB cable and upload the results.  However my app (on the laptop) cannot find COMM4 - starting the IDE results in exactly the same message (COMM 4 not found).   The only cure that I've found is to reset the Arduino, but of course, this is a useless "solution".   What is causing this problem and what is the solution ?
Thanks in advance !

Well, how embarresing !! 
Rebooted laptop and everything was fine !  Just realised that I was just ripping the USB cable out, and not letting my host program close COMM4  !!!
My experience might help someone else though ....................... !

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy