Go Down

Topic: Raspberry Pi launch farce (Read 21956 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

Can you hold your breath until Monday?

AWOL

Mine was a remarkable package; dispatched twice.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

MichaelMeissner

FWIW, mine just came today.  Lets see, I registered to buy it on March 9th, 2012, paid for it on May 24th, 2012, and received it on June 25th, 2012.  I may or may not have time in the next couple of weeks to put its through its paces.  Just looking at it, a few things jump out at me.

• The GPIO pins are unnumbered which means careful counting when adding devices.  Also, they don't group the user GPIO pins together.

• The SD card reader does not hold the full card, just where the pins are.

• Evidently it needs 700mA at 5v, so I probably need to check my wall wort and laptop USB connections (they are ok for the Arduino)

Grumpy_Mike

The GPIO pins are unnumbered which means careful counting when adding devices.  Also, they don't group the user GPIO pins together.

See my
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Raspberry/Buffer_Board.html
and my now almost viral:-
https://vimeo.com/44300050

MichaelMeissner

The GPIO pins are unnumbered which means careful counting when adding devices.  Also, they don't group the user GPIO pins together.

See my
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Raspberry/Buffer_Board.html

Yeah, that looks nice.  I went over to Pololu and saw that they had pre-crimped connectors for 12 and 16 pins, but not 13.  Fortunately, I could just use a 16x2 header, and have 3 empty spaces.

As I come up to speed on the Arduino, I'm liking the concept of the sensor shield having 3 pins (ground, 5v, signal) for each Arduino pin, and if I ever get around to it, I might setup something similar for the R-pi.

and my now almost viral:-
https://vimeo.com/44300050

I saw you mentioning on the r-pi forums, about hooking up your glock, and I originally thought you meant the handgun and not the glockenspiel.

Grumpy_Mike

had pre-crimped connectors for 12 and 16 pins, but not 13

No they count all the pins not the rows. Look for a 26 wide cable, there are lots of them.
At the moment I am doing a break out board based on a ribbon cable and connector.

Nick Gammon

Yes, well I have the cable but not the Pi:

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

AWOL

Mike, I'm sorry to say you've got your Julie Andrews characters mixed up - that's from Sound of Music, not Mary Poppins. 
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

Grumpy_Mike

Yes I know, that is why in the description I said:-
In fact it has now been brought to my attention it is in fact the Sound of Music, I should keep my Von Trap shut!

It's Arkwright in Open all ours all over again.  ;)

Nick Gammon

I just got my Pi in the mail, somewhat unexpectedly.

This probably isn't the forum for a long discussion about its shortcomings, but let's just say that, unlike Grumpy Mike, I didn't have as much success with it.

It wasn't DOA, after hours of work setting up the operating system on an SD card (not supplied) it booted, after a fashion. A lot of error and informational messages scrolled by. They continued to do so, so much, that entering your name and password (as requested) was virtually impossible, as 10 lines of messages would scroll by for each letter you typed.

It reminds me of the heady days of the early Linux distros, where anyone brave enough to install one had to know about disk partitioning, and tweaking it for your hardware (video card, hard disk, keyboard, mouse, network) involved editing configuration files, and quite a bit of technical knowledge. Well, not much has changed.

My conclusion at this stage: For educational purposes (teaching basic computing) the Arduino is far, far more user-friendly.

Notes

1. You are offered quite a choice of operating system builds to load. Once you have downloaded one (which can take hours) you have to get "down and dirty" with Unix commands like df, umount, dd to copy the operating system image to your SD card.

2. There is an extensive list of SD cards, and other hardware that does NOT work with the Pi.

3. Even powering it can be a problem. You are supposed to use a Micro-USB cable, but are warned that it draws more current than standard USB hosts will supply.

More info:

Grumpy_Mike

but let's just say that, unlike Grumpy Mike, I didn't have as much success with it.

It took me days to get the blasted thing going and I am still having problems with it.

that entering your name and password (as requested) was virtually impossible, as 10 lines of messages would scroll by for each letter you typed.

Some keyboards drop USB packets, so the system never gets a key up event, this causes it to auto repeat. The solution was to replace my expensive apple keyboard for a cheap one from the local supermarket.
At the moment the software is riddled with bugs.

Nick Gammon

It took me days to get the blasted thing going and I am still having problems with it.

I feel much better having read that. I thought that I had gone plumb crazy. I mean, I've work on Mac OS/X, Windows, Linux every day. I'm hardly a beginner, but I was struggling with it. Struggling even to get the OS on the SD card (I'm trying again), eg.:

Code: [Select]
$ sudo dd bs=1m if=/Users/nick/Downloads/debian6-19-04-2012.zip of=/dev/rdisk3
dd: /dev/rdisk3: Invalid argument
443+1 records in
443+0 records out

$ sudo dd if=/Users/nick/Downloads/debian6-19-04-2012.zip of=/dev/rdisk3
dd: /dev/rdisk3: Operation not supported

Some keyboards drop USB packets, so the system never gets a key up event, this causes it to auto repeat.

It was more the INFO messages about "long record written to disk" or some such thing.

At the moment the software is riddled with bugs.

Teething problems, huh? I suppose that once they get out "there" a bit more they will be ironed out.

I can see though that in the future, when someone releases some new cool software for it, it will be qualified with stuff like "required Debian distro", "needs package X installed", "needs 100 Mb free disk space", "requires kernel upgrade" .... all the sort of stuff we have come to expect from Mac/Windows/Linux.

More info:

AWOL

when someone releases some new cool software for it, it will be qualified with

...requires IDE 0022 or above.

I guess I got lucky, mine worked with the SD card I wrote myself, but yes, my Dell keyboard auto- repeats.

Ran Talbott

It reminds me of the heady days of the early Linux distros, where anyone brave enough to install one had to know about disk partitioning, and tweaking it for your hardware (video card, hard disk, keyboard, mouse, network) involved editing configuration files, and quite a bit of technical knowledge. Well, not much has changed.

Actually, quite a bit has changed, in the resource-rich world of desktops and servers.  With the luxury of installing from a CD or DVD, instead of a stack of floppies, onto a system that has ten times as much RAM just in its video buffers as used to be there for the whole system, the distro developers have created lots of smart install tools that usually guess right about what to put in all those cryptic config files, so the user only has to enter a few things like a hostname and some passwords to set up a  system that will boot into a nice, friendly GUI.

But when you're installing on a box without all those extra resources, you may not be able to use the simplifying tools.

It could be worse, though: you could be entering all those cryptic commands plus doing a kernel build and having to use a (yechh) Windoze machine for some of the process, like for the ironically-named "FriendlyARM" system.

Osgeld

But when you're installing on a box without all those extra resources, you may not be able to use the simplifying tools.

When I installed a early 90's Debian on my 4 meg 386 a couple years ago it was totally menu driven and, outside of getting loadlin to work cause I wanted to install from a dos partition instead of swapping out floppies, and hard disk partitioning, it was pretty idiot proof.

Thinking back so was my copy of RedHat 2.something was too.

And lets be fair, you had to know disk partitioning if you installed dos fresh as well  ;)
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

Go Up