Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi launch farce  (Read 20395 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

From my earlier post:

$ sudo dd if=/Users/nick/Downloads/debian6-19-04-2012.zip of=/dev/rdisk3

Oops. That should have been the .img file, not the .zip file, der.

I finally got the Debian "Squeeze" distro on the SD card, specifically this file (unzipped):

Code:
debian6-19-04-2012.zip

That is working somewhat better. I'm just trying to install a MUD game server, to see how well that works. smiley

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I got a MUD server up (SmaugFUSS v 1.9). There were a few changes needed to get it to compile, and couple to stop it crashing. In particular EOF appeared to not quite work as intended. If anyone is attempting it, here are the diffs:

http://gammon.com.au/Arduino/smaugfuss_diffs.txt

Things started going a bit weird, especially with the Ethernet, keyboard, and mouse plugged in. A quick check showed my power supply was only delivering 4.78V so that is probably the reason. It was 5V when I checked with less plugged in, so it is obviously struggling.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

wow, how much current is that? my old model M from 92 only sucks (around) 115mA

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

My power supply is showing 0.57A drawn.

There is clearly quite a loss in the cable. I bought a new micro-USB cable so I could plug it into the benchtop power supply. Chopped it in half, soldered wires on the red/black leads, and plugged it in. 5V at the power supply end, 4.5V on the test point on the Pi.

Started again, with much shorter cables, now it measured 4.8V at the Pi. Bumped the power supply up as much as I dared (5.2V) and now read 4.9V on the test point.

Seems reasonably reliable right now. smiley

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Yes, I've been through a few wall warts, all marked with adequate ratings, yet still failed to power the Pi.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Edison Member
Have you testrun your INO file today?
View Profile

By the time it arrives I'll have misplaced my marbles.
So you were spared that, Nick ? smiley-wink Seems that what you won on the shipping, you lost on the configuration smiley

I've bookmarked this thread - lots of things to remember in another 8 weeks (according to their ship-estimate) - keep up the good work fellas, and post often  smiley-cool

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Damn key repeat makes the command line virtually unusable.
Tried a couple of keyboards now, but even just logging in is a trial.

Hugely under impressed.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

St. Leonards-on-Sea, E. Sussex, UK.
Ancient developer
View Profile

My keyboard works OK. It's a Trust ClassicLine, BTW.

Leon Heller
G1HSM

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

Time to try a bench supply.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

No all the talk of power supply problems is mainly knee jerk rubbish.
I found that my keyboard repeat problem went away when I tried the Arch distro, but that is not as finished as the Debian distro and god knows that is a million miles off being anything like workable.
How they think you can teach kids to be interested in computers with the pile of crap that it is at the moment I don't know.

The whole thing is constructed like a text adventure game. Take the last two days.
1) I wanted to try some I2C driver, but it had to have an updated kernel.
2) Down loaded the new kernel but found it wouldn't work because in needed new "firmware files"
3) Need to install the rpi-update application to do this. Followed the instructions but the web site had a collection of zeros and letter Os in the URL and I kept getting some HTML page instead of the script. So I downloaded the script file on my Mac and transferred it to the Pi on a memory card. And saved it in the right place. Tried to run it as root and was told I dd not have permission to run it.
4) Fixed permissions, and ran it. It told me that I needed to install some certificates.
5) Tried to load the certificates and was told that some were missing and to try with a --fixmissing option. Did this and ran the updater again. It said I hadn't got the certificates.
6) Tried some googling and found that the server could not resolve the ftp site name. Tried lots of "solutions" to no effect, then decided to reboot and then it could resolve the site name.
7) Ran rpi-update again and it told me the time had not been set on my machine. Found out how to do that.
8 ) ( space to avoid simile) Ran rpi-update again and this time it started. It said that as this was the first time I had run it, it might take a few minutes. Four and a sodding half hours later it is still telling me the same thing. Asked on the Pi forum two hours ago how long it should take - no answer.  

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
View Profile

I sometimes think that in software, we are in the pre-Whitworth days of mechanical engineering.

Shannon Member
:(){:|:&};:
View Profile

here no problem with Arch linux distribution (no repetition in only-text mode, some lag/repetion in LXDE)

using their power supply (5v 1.2A)

sei nuovo? non sai da dove partire? leggi qui: http://playground.arduino.cc/Italiano/Newbie

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

here no problem with Arch linux distribution
Well when I tried it true there were no repeat key problems, but on the desktop the mouse would not work.
It seems that you have to choose what you don't want to work when choosing what distro.
I have always thought Linux itself was the hobby, installing stuff not actually using it.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

How they think you can teach kids to be interested in computers with the pile of crap that it is at the moment I don't know.

I'm genuinely curious as to what their target audience is.

As a Linux box it is pretty slow and underpowered.
As a microcontroller it is very complex and fiddly to work with.
As a teaching tool, well what is it teaching? Linux? (could do that on a PC). Microcontrollers? (easier with the Arduino) Patience? (I can believe that) How to install operating systems? (Possibly, but how useful is that?)

1) I wanted to try some I2C driver, but it had to have an updated kernel.

I thought we had moved beyond: "If you want X to work you have to recompile the kernel".

The device is clever, it's compact, they have fitted a lot onto a small board. My impression at this stage is that it is a solution in search of a problem, but perhaps it will all become clearer in 12 months' time when the bugs are ironed out, and genuinely useful applications are developed for it.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I thought we had moved beyond: "If you want X to work you have to recompile the kernel".

heh well I cant exactly remember when I tried running I2C directly out of my computer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
Jump to: