Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Master Slave Project  (Read 4631 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Thanx U guys for the info... Appreciate it..  smiley
Problem is when I try to go into any other form of communication (non i2c) I am running out of I/O pins. smiley-sad  So I think I might need to rethink about the project and maybe redo the designwork a bit... smiley-sad

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Thanx U guys for the info... Appreciate it..  smiley
Problem is when I try to go into any other form of communication (non i2c) I am running out of I/O pins. smiley-sad  So I think I might need to rethink about the project and maybe redo the designwork a bit... smiley-sad

If you decide to do this without costing all your pins, I have a proven method that can both save a ton of your pins and a ton of your arduino sketch space, for a small price:

Use the phi-panel serial LCD keypad panel. It is my design by the way. You use two serial lines (soft or hardware) to connect to this panel, you send in info to display. The on board firmware can render select menu just like the phi-menu or the new phi_prompt. You save ton of sketch space on arduino by not having to include liquidcrystal or phi_prompt, just have some strings in the sketch and send to the panel so the panel handles all button pushes and return a choice you make. Your arduino can do other things while waiting for a user response. The basic solution is only $12 and sparkfun's serLCD can't compare with 10% what my panel does and costs twice as much.

There are three models:

backpack with keypad connector and compatible with 16x2 or 20x4 displays

compact panel with 16x2 display and integrated keypad
full panel with 20x4 display and integrated keypad

I'm not ashamed of advertising my design. A lot of people like these and they become returned customers. It's just that not many know of the panels.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Hi liudr,
Have you considered a graphics panel? I was just looking around at New Haven Display, they all seem to be parallel interfaces.

I have some boards coming in anyday now (shipped already) that use a '1284 chip in a duemilanove style board layout.
Provides 2 hardware serial ports and 10 more IO pins overall.  Would that help things?

All thruhole for easy assembly. Different options supported for a USB/Serial adapter if your project needs that.

* Thruhole_layout_final.png (25.98 KB, 991x522 - viewed 38 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Netherlands
God Member
A naughty mind is a joy forever.
View Profile

Must say I haven't experimented with long distance I2C, but perhaps using I2C bus extenders might be an idea. The datasheet of the P82B715 I2C bus extender talks of communication over a twisted pair wire with length of 50m/160ft. It seems quite easy to work with and the price (at Mouser, haven't looked further) also seems reasonable.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

CrossRoads,

Yes. I am. On the other hand, I am mostly thinking about making industrial control panels but I am discouraged when thinking about all the graphic controls and indicators classes I have to code. Maybe I will make a text based panel on glcd and expand into graphic interface later. I spend too much effort to make things perfect and yet my products are unknown to most people that could really enjoy them. So is this your recent design? Thinking about selling thru some online stores?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Online stores - I should look into the vendors you suggested to me before.  Just need more hours in a day.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Online stores - I should look into the vendors you suggested to me before.  Just need more hours in a day.

ruggedcircuits.com
dipmicro.com
inmojo.com (you list your own items)

Be sure to check them out. Designing hardware/software is pretty difficult so even if you only get a cup of coffee worth of profit a day, it keeps you going since you know someone somewhere needs that hardware/software for their projects.

View Profile

Phew! Lots of responses Thank you... smiley-grin

Let me be a bit more specific of my project. As I said before I will be using (These are my initial design ideas I came to the forum with)
1. LCD (Takes up 6pins)
2. 4 buttons (Takes up 4pins)
3. i2c Commn - For master Slave config and RTC (Should have taken up only 2pins ) --- Here is where the issues started.. smiley-sad
4. Rest of the pins I need for I/O. (5 inputs and 3 outputs Inc. digital and analog) --- I need a min 8pins for I/O

So when I go for i2c I get problems of distance and the problem of slave RTC. Solutions to those like switching to RS485(Which I think is possible) or DS1302 RTC chips as Dr_Ugi said takes up extra pins smiley-sad This the problem I am faced with.
If anyone can help with a workaround with the original design spec It will be much appreciated...  smiley-grin

@liudr
Dont you use the same config? Like 6pins for LCD? If its so doesnt help me right?? Or do you some other IC in between other than Atmega328? and I see tons of buttons there which I have no use of. I love your product Btw... I guess a bit more info regarding the how much pins it has remaining or something similar might help you boost up your sales in the project.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see the info section after the Videos..  Nice work. smiley-grin Seems that you use Serial LCDs. Started reading about them just now... smiley

But I really dont wsant to buy these(No offense though) because
1. Cost (Inc shipping and all If you convert to Indian Rupees its a bit high for me smiley-sad )
2. I am really a DIY guy and really like making my own PCBs and designing stuff.(Dont know I will fit your design into mine still... smiley )
But if I am left no other option I might go yours. looks neat. But chance is less.. smiley

@Crossroads
that was my first goto Idea. Go for a higher i/o IC(But non SMD ones). I was looking at sanguino(with atmega644P) thought it was nice. Thought of trying it out on breadboard design. But I dont have any experience on breadboard versions of ICs higher than Atmega328 (Guessing its the same??) Boards as a whole as such might not help me much I guess... Thanx for the Info though.

@Simpson_Jr
Must say I haven't experimented with long distance I2C, but perhaps using I2C bus extenders might be an idea. The datasheet of the P82B715 I2C bus extender talks of communication over a twisted pair wire with length of 50m/160ft. It seems quite easy to work with and the price (at Mouser, haven't looked further) also seems reasonable
I havent either... These ICs arent available here locally. So guess I have to ship it in from somewhere and then test it out. Thats why I was asking around if someone had successfully implemented it... smiley-sad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:28:41 am by 000 » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

644/1284 is easy to breadboard, same xtal/caps/reset resistor as the '328.

* Minimal_ATMega1284_pic.jpg (417.08 KB, 1416x1157 - viewed 36 times.)

View Profile

644/1284 is easy to breadboard, same xtal/caps/reset resistor as the '328.
@Crossroads Thanx.. smiley
If you bootload with an Arduino bootloader, it will work same as Atmega328 with more I/o pins right? smiley

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes.
Use the "Mighty 1284 16 MHz with Optiboot" bootloader.
https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p

View Profile

Thanx. Thinking of giving it a go.  smiley-grin Let me see if I can get an IC here locally... smiley-grin

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Arduino Forum upgrade scheduled for Monday, October 20th, 11am-4pm (CEST). Sorry for the inconvenience!
Jump to: