Go Down

Topic: Master Slave Project (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Online stores - I should look into the vendors you suggested to me before.  Just need more hours in a day.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

liudr

Online stores - I should look into the vendors you suggested to me before.  Just need more hours in a day.

ruggedcircuits.com
dipmicro.com
inmojo.com (you list your own items)

Be sure to check them out. Designing hardware/software is pretty difficult so even if you only get a cup of coffee worth of profit a day, it keeps you going since you know someone somewhere needs that hardware/software for their projects.

Phew! Lots of responses Thank you... :D

Let me be a bit more specific of my project. As I said before I will be using (These are my initial design ideas I came to the forum with)
1. LCD (Takes up 6pins)
2. 4 buttons (Takes up 4pins)
3. i2c Commn - For master Slave config and RTC (Should have taken up only 2pins ) --- Here is where the issues started.. :(
4. Rest of the pins I need for I/O. (5 inputs and 3 outputs Inc. digital and analog) --- I need a min 8pins for I/O

So when I go for i2c I get problems of distance and the problem of slave RTC. Solutions to those like switching to RS485(Which I think is possible) or DS1302 RTC chips as Dr_Ugi said takes up extra pins :( This the problem I am faced with.
If anyone can help with a workaround with the original design spec It will be much appreciated...  :D

@liudr
Dont you use the same config? Like 6pins for LCD? If its so doesnt help me right?? Or do you some other IC in between other than Atmega328? and I see tons of buttons there which I have no use of. I love your product Btw... I guess a bit more info regarding the how much pins it has remaining or something similar might help you boost up your sales in the project.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see the info section after the Videos..  Nice work. :D Seems that you use Serial LCDs. Started reading about them just now... :)

But I really dont wsant to buy these(No offense though) because
1. Cost (Inc shipping and all If you convert to Indian Rupees its a bit high for me :( )
2. I am really a DIY guy and really like making my own PCBs and designing stuff.(Dont know I will fit your design into mine still... :) )
But if I am left no other option I might go yours. looks neat. But chance is less.. :)

@Crossroads
that was my first goto Idea. Go for a higher i/o IC(But non SMD ones). I was looking at sanguino(with atmega644P) thought it was nice. Thought of trying it out on breadboard design. But I dont have any experience on breadboard versions of ICs higher than Atmega328 (Guessing its the same??) Boards as a whole as such might not help me much I guess... Thanx for the Info though.

@Simpson_Jr
Must say I haven't experimented with long distance I2C, but perhaps using I2C bus extenders might be an idea. The datasheet of the P82B715 I2C bus extender talks of communication over a twisted pair wire with length of 50m/160ft. It seems quite easy to work with and the price (at Mouser, haven't looked further) also seems reasonable

I havent either... These ICs arent available here locally. So guess I have to ship it in from somewhere and then test it out. Thats why I was asking around if someone had successfully implemented it... :(

CrossRoads

644/1284 is easy to breadboard, same xtal/caps/reset resistor as the '328.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

644/1284 is easy to breadboard, same xtal/caps/reset resistor as the '328.

@Crossroads Thanx.. :)
If you bootload with an Arduino bootloader, it will work same as Atmega328 with more I/o pins right? :)

Go Up