Go Down

Topic: (0 << bitPosition) What? (Read 293 times) previous topic - next topic

stuart0

Jan 07, 2017, 01:34 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 01:35 pm by stuart0
I've seen that construct - and the related (0 << bitPos1) & (0 << bitPos2) etc - used a few times in code that people have posted, and TBH I've always thought it was just noobs being noobs.

Anyway, yesterday I needed to use the Watch Dog Timer so I started reading that section of the datasheet, and I came across the following nugget right in the official atmel datasheet.

This really surprised me. So now I'm wondering if I've been wrong all along? Or perhaps there's a parallel universe with a different compiler/pre-processor where that isn't just an obscure way of writing zero?

J-M-L

Jan 07, 2017, 03:01 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 03:03 pm by J-M-L
No you are right, this is just plain wrong and a bug in the ATMEL datasheet

Atmel confirmed the error and the need to change to
Code: [Select]
andi r16,(0xff - (1<<wdrf))

You can read this discussion where this is mentioned (or here too)

Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums
Pas de messages privés SVP

stuart0

No you are right, this is just plain wrong and a bug in the ATMEL datasheet

Atmel confirmed the error and the need to change to
Code: [Select]
andi r16,(0xff - (1<<wdrf))

Thanks J-M-L. :)

Yes I would normally use "andi r16, ~(1<<wdrf)" there, but basically the same thing. It's amazing how pervasive that error is about shifting zero to clear bits though, to even find it's way into the datasheet.  :o

J-M-L

It's amazing how pervasive that error is about shifting zero to clear bits though, to even find it's way into the datasheet.  :o
Yeah, what happens in the Internet stays in the Internet for a looooooong time.. So always good to use judgement the way you demonstrated. :)
Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums

J-M-L

Sometimes I use something like that just for a place holder.  Say I'm setting up a timer register, I might list every bit in the register, even the ones I'm not setting, and just put 0 in for the ones that I am leaving as 0.  That way if I come back later and want to change a prescaler or some other bit all I have to do is change a 0 to a 1 and I don't have to go look up the name of the bit in the register or anything. 
yes - but in the case of andi r16,(0xff & (0 << wdrf)) there is a  AND mask & being done, so it's not just setting that specific bit to 0 but the whole r16... probably was not the intended idea

Delta_G

Jan 07, 2017, 04:34 pm Last Edit: Jan 07, 2017, 04:34 pm by Delta_G
yes - but in the case of andi r16,(0xff & (0 << wdrf)) there is a  AND mask & being done, so it's not just setting that specific bit to 0 but the whole r16... probably was not the intended idea
Yeah, I realized that after I typed and pulled my comment.  This isn't the same as what I was talking about where they'd all be |=
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

J-M-L

Yeah, I realized that after I typed and pulled my comment.  This isn't the same as what I was talking about where they'd all be |=
fair enough - yeah ORing is fine

RayLivingston

In this context:

Something = SomethingElse & (0 << WDRF);

is, in a word stupid, as the entire expression evaluates to zero regardless of the values of SomethingElse or WDRF. 

In this context:

Something = (1 << ABCD) | (0 << EFGH);

I can see some logic to it as a means of documenting that the bit ABCD is being set, while bit EFGH is NOT being set.  If it is instead desired to also set but EFGH, then simply change the 0 to a 1.  This is not an uncommon practice, and does make clear what the intent of the operation is.

Regards,
Ray L.

J-M-L

In this context:

Something = SomethingElse & (0 << WDRF);

is, in a word stupid, as the entire expression evaluates to zero regardless of the values of SomethingElse or WDRF. 

In this context:

Something = (1 << ABCD) | (0 << EFGH);

I can see some logic to it as a means of documenting that the bit ABCD is being set, while bit EFGH is NOT being set.  If it is instead desired to also set but EFGH, then simply change the 0 to a 1.  This is not an uncommon practice, and does make clear what the intent of the operation is.

Regards,
Ray L.

Indeed - as always, as long as you understand what you do then all is fine :)

Go Up