Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can't upload sketches on freshly burned Atmega8?  (Read 811 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So I bought an Atmega8 with no bootloader on it. I uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch on my Uno, and hooked it up to my Atmega8 like this: http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/BreadboardAVR.png
Then, in Arduino 0022, I selected the "arduinoNG w/ Atmega8", and clicked burn bootloader > w/ arduino as ISP. After A few seconds I got the message that it was done. Problem is, I can't upload upload any sketches to the Atmega8. I'm using my Uno as a USB to serial converter, and hooking up the reset, TX, and RX pins to the Atmega8 like this:
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/ArduinoUSBSerial.png
After selecting "arduinoNG w/ Atmega8" and pressing upload, all I get is the occasional rapid blinking from an led I hooked up to pin 13 and this error message from Arduino 0022 "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51"
I'm trying to load the blink sketch. Any ideas? I'm new to all this bootloading stuff so I'm really surprised i even got this far.

Salem, Oregon
Friends don't let friends use Strings
View Profile

I'm trying to load the blink sketch. Any ideas? I'm new to all this bootloading stuff so I'm really surprised i even got this far.

Have you tried pressing reset on your NG?  Perhaps the auto-reset stuff isn't working?

Brad.

View Profile

Ok, crisis averted. Turns out my TX and RX wires weren't soldered very well. Also, just for future reference, the 10k resistor from reset to Vcc is important. I couldn't upload without it.

EDIT: I do have another question though. Why does it take 9 seconds from the time I apply power for the program to start running? It's quite annoying and doesn't happen on my Uno.

EDIT 2: Also, I can't upload with arduino 1.0, but I can't compile my 1.0 sketches with arduino 0022.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:10:56 am by bobthebanana » Logged

Anchorage, AK
Edison Member
View Profile

The 9-second delay is normal for the official ATmega8 bootloader.  I think that was a very conservative STK protocol timeout on the early bootloaders that has since been dropped on the more modern boards, but I could be mistaken.  In any case, there's no hardware cause for that delay that I know of, so an alternate bootloader should cure it if it's a problem.

What problem are you having with 1.0?  That's what I'm using and it seems to be working fine.  I highly recommend getting either a FTDI cable or a breakout board.  You have to pull the chip out of your Uno to use it as a serial adapter, otherwise you'll be talking to two targets at once.  I don't know about you, but that was more work than the ~$20 was worth to me. smiley-lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: