Go Down

Topic: What transistor do I need? (Read 976 times) previous topic - next topic

V0R73X

Hi.
I have a 40mA current but I need it to be 700-1000mA. What transistor should I use?

retrolefty

Hi.
I have a 40mA current but I need it to be 700-1000mA. What transistor should I use?

NPN or PNP? Maximum voltage being switched?

V0R73X

NPN or PNP are both fine. The more popular the transistor is, the better, since I have a better chance for finding it in a store.
Maximum voltage should not go higher than 7V. The input voltage is 5 and it's fine if it stays the same, but a little bit higher doesn't kill either.

Techone

I will use two transistor, connect them in a Darlington configuration circuit. The transistor are 2N3904 ( max 200 mA ) and TIP31 ( max 2 A ) and don't forget a heatsink for the TIP31. and a base resistor for the first transistor and another one for the second transistor. Or buy a Darlington transistor Ic of 2 A or more.

CrossRoads

Are you sinking or sourcing current?
For those currents, I would suggest low Rds, Logic level MOSFETs.
P-channel for Sourcing current.
N-Channel for Sinking current.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

MarkT

My favorite choice (if you can find it) - ZTX851, NPN, high gain, high current (5A), low saturation voltage, in tiny e-line package...
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

CrossRoads

Ugh, that part has awful #s:
IC=0.1A, IB=5mA*
IC=1A, IB=50mA*
IC=2A, IB=50mA*
IC=5A, IB=200mA*

Arduino only puts out 40mA, this part could only control ~0.7A.
And it costs $1.09.

This 48 cent MOSFET Logic Level (can control with 0/5V gate) can control all the current, and will run cooler.
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/NTD4960N-1G/NTD4960N-1GOS-ND/2409565
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Techone

@CrossRoads

I agree with you about ZTX851 about high IB needed to switch high IC. It need an another transistor in a Darlington config for this transistor to operated. I also notice the switching and bandwith is pretty good. Maybe that is why this transistor is expensive.

And I also agree with you for the OP to use a MOSFET Logic Level.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy