Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: avrsh: make program  (Read 834 times)
Eindhoven
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to figure out http://www.battledroids.net/downloads/avrsh.html

I can compile it on my Linux box and the next step is 'make program' to send the .hex file to my Arduino from the command line. Now because I'm not using the standard dev tools, I am afraid I will kill the standard bootloader with uploading the .hex file. If Avrsh isn't what I was looking for I want to be able to use my Arduino in the 'normal' way.

Is my fear of killing the bootloader by programming Avrsh from the command line realistic? Can I safely upload and reuse my Arduino if I change my mind? I have no ICSP AVR tools.

Any help is welcomed. Thnx!

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

If you have a second Arduino you can use it to re-load the bootloader if it gets damaged by the process.

I looked at the makefile and it looks like it doesn't do a Chip Erase or change the flag/lock bytes so it should be safe for your bootloader.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Eindhoven
View Profile

Thanks for your quick reply!

If you have a second Arduino you can use it to re-load the bootloader if it gets damaged by the process.
No I haven't, but I like the concept. Any smart keywords to Google for?

I looked at the makefile and it looks like it doesn't do a Chip Erase or change the flag/lock bytes so it should be safe for your bootloader.
Ah that sounds good!
Just for me to learn a bit more from this, are these simple keywords I can check for myself too in Makefiles or are there pitfalls and do I need a lot of experience?

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

No I haven't, but I like the concept. Any smart keywords to Google for?
ArduinoISP
First link is http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
One step they forget to mention is disabling auto-reset on the Arduino being used as an ISP.

Also: optiLoader is a sketch that contains several versions of the optiboot bootloader (like on the UNO) which will program a fresh bootloader onto another Arduino without needing a PC.

Ah that sounds good!
Just for me to learn a bit more from this, are these simple keywords I can check for myself too in Makefiles or are there pitfalls and do I need a lot of experience?

It's not very easy to see.  What you are looking for is the 'avrdude' command line options for Chip Erase (-e) or fuse setting (-U efuse, hfuse, lfuse, lock).  If none appear it is likely that the makefile is NOT asking avrdude to do anything but write the application (non-boot) FLASH.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Eindhoven
View Profile

Thnx for your clear elaboration. I can Google a bit more from here.

Eindhoven
View Profile

I switched to an Arduino Mega and http://bitlash.net/ because I have the impression it has a bit more support for scripting.

I did use the ArduinoISP idea though, be it to program an ATtiny for my mouseWiggler smiley

Thanks for helping me discover the world of Arduino a little further!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: