Go Down

Topic: EL wire: separate controllable strands, single inverter, battery powered? (Read 4651 times) previous topic - next topic

spudnackle

I'm making a light display that will respond to music! I want to use only one inverter for a number of EL wire strands (possibly 12 of them) but have them separately controllable using the Arduino. I've seen a number of ways to do this but I had a few questions.

This seems to be the best option:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Programmable-LilyPad-EL-Wire-Dress/?ALLSTEPS
For my project, adding another optocoupler/triac pair for each separate channel would be necessary.

Could I use solid state relays instead? What would be the pros/cons?
The NTE3044 optocoupler is difficult to find. At Mouser it says that the part is not recommended for new designs. What does that mean and how could I find a equivalent part?
I have read that inverters can be damaged if they are turned on while not connected to anything. Why is this?

Also to be considered:
At any point in time while using my device, only 3 of the EL strands would need to be lit at once.

Thanks for helping me out!

johnwasser

You probably don't need the opto-couplers.  This product from sparkfun has  Z0103MN TRIACs connected directly to an ATmega168 (basically an Arduino Lillypad):

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9203
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

spudnackle

So, you don't think there is any chance that the (relatively) high voltage from the inverter could zap the arduino?

johnwasser

So, you don't think there is any chance that the (relatively) high voltage from the inverter could zap the arduino?

Of course there is a chance that you could hook something up incorrectly or a component could fail and cause damage to your Arduino.  I don't think that adding opto-couplers will prevent stupid mistakes so adding them might just reduce the chances of failure from 0.0001% to 0.00001%.  Of course adding components also provides more opportunity for failure so in the end they might not even increase reliability. :)
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up