Go Down

Topic: a light up helmet help? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

thisguy18

Hi there. Im new here so im not sure if this is in the right place but anyway
So I am in the middle of a project
I am building a helmet and which will have lights installed in the visor
I thought I would come here for help since yall would know and every other tech forum where the arduino is talked about every so often hasnt helped me at all. Ive just been flamed for the project.

I am building the helmet that Guy Manuel wears when he preforms with Daft Punk
it consists of a Rainbow of lights going up the side of the face and a EKG on the ears and a matrix of lights on the jaw
its like 100 or 120 Leds in total
It needs to be wearable and the power supply needs to be small enough to fit in a pocket

So what I need to know is what all i need to make this project work
I am so new i dont even know which board i need to control all of this (UNO board is what ive seen at radio shack)

So any help or suggestions would be very helpful
attached is an image

CrossRoads

Do some browsing, in the old forum perhaps. This has been created several times since I've been around, Aug of 2010 or so.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

CrossRoads

Do the LEDs turn on blocks of color, or do the LEDs in each block need their own control too?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

thisguy18

Sorry I created a new topic on something that has been discussed multiple times i will start to dig around here. i am at work right now do graphic design so not much time to dig atm
but anyway
the 4 leds in each block fire simultaneously to light an entire block they dont need to be controlled separately
however
the blocks will scroll up and down the helmet
the matrix at the chin will scroll and what not
and the ekg on the ears will scroll as well 

Thanks for your help in advance

CrossRoads

No problem. I am sure you will find it.

If not, the design is simple.
Use an Uno connected to piece of perfboard with shift registers on it.
I would suggest TPIC6D595
https://avnetexpress.avnet.com/store/em/EMController/Counter-Shift-Register/STMicroelectronics/STPIC6D595B1R/_/R-5750380/A-5750380/An-0?action=part&catalogId=500201&langId=-1&storeId=500201&listIndex=-1

Connect up the 4 LEDs in parallel with current limit resistor each.
I'll post a quick schematic for you.

Go Up