Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hacking a LCD Screen  (Read 4448 times)
Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
"Keep it R.E.I.L. - "Research, Experiment, Investigate and Learn"
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi guys;

I have a challenge here...  I just took aparted a portable DVD player. It was from the garbage. I did put 12 V in, A DVD logo was on and the screen was "scanning". I play the DVD disk and I have no picture, but I have sound. 

Therefore I assume the LCD screen work fine, but the DVD display chip is damage in my opinion. I will harvest the parts from the DVD player.

Here the challenge question : Can I use the Arduino to "run" and display info into that LCD screen. I know I have to do rechearch about it, maybe a library exist ( hope so -  smiley-roll )  I may use two Arduino to use the display, One Arduino to run the display and the other to send data into to be use by the Ardiuno controlling the LCD screen.

Any opinions, ideas, any help will be nice.

Here some pictures.

* LCD_screen.jpg (121.38 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 81 times.)

* LCD_screen_connector.jpg (97.2 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 113 times.)

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

I did some scope test and measurments.

Edit :  After testing, the Display work fine. It the DVD chip is malfunctioning.  When I play the DVD, the screen goes "scanning"...

Here my results :  R - video signal
                         G - video signal
                         B - video signal
                         SYN - video signal
                         N / P - 5 V <-- edit
                         CON - 0 V
                         BRI - 2 V
                         +12 - 12 V with a 0.4 V ripple of 120 Hz
                          + 5 - 5 V
                          GND - 0 V
                          LSP - Sound wave
                          RSP - Sound wave

Edit :

P / N <--- I think it is an input. Select PAL or NTSC in my opinion.

By web surfing, A VGA output "might" work...

It is a SHARP  LQ6AN101     09924761M

Connect to an Ardiuno to it... hum... I don't think so. The composite signal is needed.

What you guys thinks ?  Opinions ? Ideas ?

I am just an hobbyest here, no elec eng, nor a pro-tech...  

edit : I will figure it out...  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:31:07 pm by Techone » Logged

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

That's actually not a bad screen; VGA output might work, depending on what is being expected on the SYN (sync) pin - and whether the RGB pins take analog or digital signals; not sure what BRI is (brightness/backlight control, maybe?).

Anyhow, using it with the Arduino directly is pretty much out of the question (to a certain extent), but you might be able to hook it up to a Sanguino acting as an Uzebox to make a small gaming system (that would be pretty sweet). The Uzebox normally uses a special IC to convert RGB to a composite video signal, but this display might be able to take the signal directly.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

@cr0sh

That's actually not a bad screen; VGA output might work, depending on what is being expected on the SYN (sync) pin - and whether the RGB pins take analog or digital signals; not sure what BRI is (brightness/backlight control, maybe?).

Thank.  And the screen is operational. I did see the waveform of the R, G, B and SYN. I took the signals at the output of the DVD player.  The waveform are not TTL, more a composite signal on all of them, when I play a DVD, I can see a difference or change in the waveform. Still coposite.

The BRI in my opinion is Brightness, I measured 2 V. I will experiment to confirm. I expect to increase V, more bright.  Hum... that make sense.  The P / N is the PAL and NTSC mode pin. A HIGH or A LOW. About the CON pin <-- measure 0 V. That pin, I still don't know...yet.

About using VGA, like you said, if the VGA signals are TTL, it will not work. 

Here a web page about it. But still no datasheet.  Can not find it.  smiley-mad  The only method is : Reversed Engineer. Experiments, live test and measurments and web surfing. You know what... I am learning  a lot in that way.

http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_parameter.php?id=10326

but you might be able to hook it up to a Sanguino acting as an Uzebox to make a small gaming system (that would be pretty sweet). The Uzebox normally uses a special IC to convert RGB to a composite video signal, but this display might be able to take the signal directly.

I will look into it. I will search the web about "sanguino" and "Uzebox"

Thank cr0sh for the tips. It might help others this treads. Who knows ...

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Thank.  And the screen is operational. I did see the waveform of the R, G, B and SYN. I took the signals at the output of the DVD player.  The waveform are not TTL, more a composite signal on all of them, when I play a DVD, I can see a difference or change in the waveform. Still coposite.

Definitely analog, then!

The BRI in my opinion is Brightness, I measured 2 V. I will experiment to confirm. I expect to increase V, more bright.  Hum... that make sense.  The P / N is the PAL and NTSC mode pin. A HIGH or A LOW. About the CON pin <-- measure 0 V. That pin, I still don't know...yet.

Hey - NTSC or PAL mode, that's pretty nice! CON is (maybe?) contrast...?

About using VGA, like you said, if the VGA signals are TTL, it will not work. 

Just looked it up; VGA is analog, so you should be good there - the only issue might be voltage range peak-to-peak. There would also probably be an issue with sync - VGA provides seperate horizontal and vertical sync, whereas this might be fixed horizontal (to NTSC/PAL) with a particular vertical, or possibly mixed (composite sync); then there's the issue of whether the sync signals are positive or negative...ugh.

Here a web page about it. But still no datasheet.  Can not find it.  smiley-mad  The only method is : Reversed Engineer. Experiments, live test and measurments and web surfing. You know what... I am learning  a lot in that way.

Don't let the magic smoke out, though! smiley-grin

BTW - found this:

http://www.eaglet.cn/Spec/Sharp/LQ6AN101.pdf

It should be the datasheet - but for some reason it isn't showing up right in my PDF viewer (it uses ghostscript under Linux; sometimes it fails on certain PDFs, maybe it will work better for you)...

Thank cr0sh for the tips. It might help others this treads. Who knows ...

No problem! smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

Thank cr0sh for all the help. That give me some ideas where to go and do more tests. 

CON is (maybe?) contrast...?

I will find out by applying some voltage in to confirm. 

Just looked it up; VGA is analog, so you should be good there - the only issue might be voltage range peak-to-peak. There would also probably be an issue with sync - VGA provides seperate horizontal and vertical sync, whereas this might be fixed horizontal (to NTSC/PAL) with a particular vertical, or possibly mixed (composite sync); then there's the issue of whether the sync signals are positive or negative...ugh.

I am aware of that particular issue. There is a way you can use on signal, ignore the other, or mix them up ?  More web surfing...  smiley-roll

About the datasheet. My pdf viewer request a file to display Japanese language. So it did not view well. I don't care about the writing, but I can understand the V, mA, uS or pinouts. To bad I can not display it.  Thanks anyway for your efforts.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

Ok guys, I re-test the display without the video signal.  I have a blank screen <--- that look normal, I think...

Here the test :

Sharp LQ6AN101 LCD panel Display

Pinout :    Power Line
              +12 V =  12 V
               + 5 V  =  5 V
                GND = 0 V

Video signal
                  R - Red signal - analog - video composite
                  G - Green signal - analog - video composite
                  B - Blue signal - analog - video composite
                 syn - Synchronization signal - analog - video composite

Control signal
                 CON - 0 to 5 V  - Contrast
                 BRI - 0 to 5 V - Brightest
                 P / N  - High - 5 V --> NTSC   Low - 0 V - PAL

So, to make it work, I need the video signal. VGA signal, yes for the R-G-B, but the syn signal is another matter.

I hope this info will help.

Anyway, I assuming LCD panel has the same pinouts and work on the same principle.  I have two more LCD panel from laptop computer. Making small VGA display for the PC or to use with the Arduino or my DIY small LCD flat sreen TV.

On a side note, the portable DVD player with the LCD display don't work, but the Video & audio output signal work just fine, without the LCD panel.  smiley-lol  I may fine some use for the DVD after all, but without a remote, it will be some inconvinience to use the player. Or harvest the parts.  smiley-roll  Choices...                                     

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

I forgot to mention this. When I did my tests, I measured the current consumtion of the LCD panel.  I measured : 330 mA at the 12 V line.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Techone,

Would you like to share some findings on this post? Your display is line 2.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,95196.0.html

I'm compiling hackable salvageable displays into a list so newcomers will find it easy to locate the info instead of doing some mad search.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
View Profile

@liudr

Would you like to share some findings on this post? Your display is line 2.

Yes. I am honnored.  smiley-grin

Yes(?) (?) portable DVD Own garage RGB LCd(?) Standard(?)

Own garage <--- huh ?  From the garbage, in a dumpster. (?) portable DVD   - Portable DVD - Malata Model DVD-912V  Wanlida Group Co. Ltd.
Description : Portable DVD player with TFT-LCD.

Next step. Use a VGA signal and see what happen... ( let be no magic smoke ...  smiley-mr-green )  I will use a old VGA board with a old PC <-- the "sacrificial VGA board and PC" in case somethings goes wrong.   smiley-evil  I have a lots in my place.

BTW. About the laptops I was talking about, Got one ThinkPad 760 <--- test with a PSU providing 20 V at 2 A <-- I have a DIY variable Bench PSU - 30 V @ 3A max rated with a 5 V max at 3 A , and to my SURPRISE !!!   IT WORK !!! That laptop work !!!   smiley-grin . Got a Modem too... old with Win 98, 90 Mhz Pentium. I will find some use...  smiley-roll  Just need the plug. I will build the PSU.

The other one :  Compag Armada.  Power in - 18 V at 2 A. booting... leds on... a display show up...Compact logo and Motherboard  EEPROM say : Password please... hum ..don't know password...PC lock up..  Try again to boot up...nothing ! ... Well this one is a candidate for parts havesting.  The LCD display is working, so I will try to do some tests and maybe to use this display for an DIY PC monitor.

Now, That I call thinkering !  smiley-grin

Here the picture of the DVD display

* LCD_panel_display.jpg (115.53 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 97 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: