Go Down

Topic: t-cube gps/friend finder (Read 774 times) previous topic - next topic

would it be possible to make this using a gps shield or xbee? nothing as technical, just a display for locations of other similar gps devices.

Ignore the cheezy presenter lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Ide24zbqY

Thanks

johnwasser

You need a graphic LCD, a GPS module, and some kind of wireless communication between Arduinos.  The rest is just a small matter of programming.

It would be cool to use one of these $45 touch screens on an Arduino Mega: http://www.amazon.com/3-2-Touch-Shield-Mega-Arduino/dp/B006P8PROA
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

thanks for the reply. would an xbee be good enough to wirelessly link the arduino's upto about 1 mile? i know some go upto about 40.

johnwasser

An XBee is a kind of radio that might work.  I have very little experience with them so I don't know what you'd need in terms of XBEE and antenna to get reliable operation of a mile over real-world terrain.  Experimenting with communications would be a good first step since display and GPS are fairly well understood.

My understanding is that the XBee's can form a mesh network so that each unit only has to be in range of one other unit that is part of the mesh.  That sort of design would allow a much wider area of coverage for a large group without needing the power to transmit the entire width of the area.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

thats just what i wanted to hear. if the 2 devices are a success that means if i made more the range would be greater as they would bounce from one to another. thanks for the reply

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy