Go Down

Topic: I2CKeypad with enc28j60 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kenny_-_

Hi People!,

I have a seriously weird problem....

I have set up an arduino with the enc26j60 breakout (etherShield lib), a 16X2 LCD (PCFCrystal lib) and some less relevant
extensions.
The problem i'm facing is that when i trij to use the two together the arduino reboots  :~
I have a running website that will have to be interrupted but that's not a big deal and everything runs until i give a input on
the i2c keypad. I've tried a lot of things but the only way is to delete the code from the loop with all the etherShield print and the etherShield respond.

I hope my explanation is clear enough  :)

Any suggestions?

-Kenny-

robtillaart

and some less relevant extensions

might be more relevant than you thought  -  do you provide enough power to drive all those goodies :)

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

kenny_-_

Mar 04, 2012, 04:13 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 04:54 pm by kenny_-_ Reason: 1
Thanks for the quick reply,

I have it connected on my usb and than it all works fine, but to be sure i connected an external 450mA wall adapter, so i guess when it runs from usb than this extra should do

kenny_-_

Mar 04, 2012, 04:23 pm Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 04:26 pm by kenny_-_ Reason: 1
I just measured and it takes up about 250mA in total

kenny_-_

I'm really stuck on this and guess that i have to try some different lib's perhaps, it's a shame because i liked these   :(

I will try some stuff next weekend but add the weirdest part.

I took everything from the loop in the ethershield example and placed it in a separate sub called EtherLoop(),
if i comment out the call of etherloop everything works (by that i mean that i also setup everything for the ethershield loop).
Now i can make a "if(some_bool = true)" and leave some_bool false and uncomment the EtherLoop(), now it's not called for sure
but still rebooting :~ (like, huh?) but if i comment it out and leave the loop but don't call it than it works....

Anyone have any other ideas?

kenny_-_

Is there no one with any ideas at all?

robtillaart

Is there no one with any ideas at all?

Patience is a virtue ;)

What is the voltage of the Wall wart? it should be 7 VOlt at least - see hardware specs.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

kenny_-_

It's 5 volt but i connected the atmega on a breadboard without my uno pcb, so i guess that 5v is max?

kenny_-_

Just for the sake of trying i took a 5v 1000mA power supply home from work yesterday, but the results where the same. There is also no voltage dip anywhere(also tried the 3,3 volt voltage regulator for the enc28j60).

fuh

Why are you blaming power ?
Arduino reboot loop() usually is bad programming leading to memory corruption or no free SRAM for runtime.
As you mentioned you have a LCD, are you storing all your string into PROGMEM ? If no, you should.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

kenny_-_

I could try that thanks for the input!

But i've been trying some more and what i found out was that it actually hang at a Serial.print("something key pressed"); so i guess that it could be that i just have to use the progmem

I just had some small things with arduino and this is the first "a little big" so these are the things i run in to i guess  :smiley-red:

I really wan't to thank you guys for the input and i think i can almost say it's solved, i am going to really through test this one!  :)

Did not expect this, but the better it feels when you see a solution  :)

kenny_-_

Finally everything is up and running again!

Again thanks!  :)

fuh

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

kenny_-_

o sorry didn't come back for some time but yes it was! :)

I got it working now with declaring all my strings first with progmem

Go Up