Go Down

Topic: My home-brew Arduino OBD-II connection kit (Read 50 times) previous topic - next topic

stanleyhuang

Mar 04, 2012, 08:17 pm Last Edit: Jun 25, 2013, 05:14 am by stanleyhuang Reason: 1
After many researches and attempts to connect an Arduino with my car through the OBD-II connector and having some successful works of car dashboard gadget, I've finally made a kit which enables those who want to playing with Arduino and their cars to jump start quicky.

I am maintaining an arduino library for the adapteras an open-source project. It provides Arduino developers an easy-to-use APIs to connect to and retrieve realtime data from a vehicle, which include:

• Vehicle speed
  • Engine RPM
  • Throttle position
  • Calculated/absolute Engine load
  • Engine coolant temperature
  • Intake temperature
  • Intake pressure
  • MAF flow pressure
  • Fuel pressure
  • Barometric pressure
  • Ignition timing advance
  • Engine running time
  • Vehicle running distance

The adapter can be easily used with Arduino or other MCU boards, providing 5V power supply (up to 500mhA current, with reverse protection), so a wire getting power from somewhere else is not needed. This helps to make the gadget you made looks tidy. The only interface to the car of the adapter is the OBD-II connector.

By having access to these data, the Arduino can compute, store or show the realtime vehicle status in any unique way.
Here is a fancy dashboard gadget I made for my car (with video).

If you are interested in my Arduino OBD-II connection kit, please see here for more details.

robtillaart

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

dbuond01

Does the kit come with an Arduino board?  I have an Arduino Uno and it doesn't look like the harness will work with it. I guess I would just have to take the 4 wires out of the harness and wire them to the appropriate pins?  What board is best to use with your adapter?

justjed

Looks like it's plugged into an Iteaduino. A Uno would be fine. Yes, you'd need to connect to VCC, GND, TX, and RX on your Uno, which aren't located in a 4-dip row as you see in the Iteaduino.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

toyoya-ltd

i am going to buy one for my wife's car. it will hopefuly prove how bad she drives.  :smiley-eek:
If only my wife was as easy to control as an atmega328!

Go Up