Go Down

Topic: NTP Client/Server Issues (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Xenosis

You haven't exactly described your setup. What is connected to what? What addresses are you using? Is there a router? Are you currrently port forwarding to your PC?

http://www.portforward.com/

the setup is fairly standard

arduino eth shield > hub > router (subnet gateway)

ntp server pc > hub > router

ntp request from arduino works on severs running in local subnet (tested both windows 7 and ubuntu) however I am not able to utilize my dyndns domain name to send a request.

i verified that the domain is properly getting the IP of my router
also added firewall rules on the server and router to allow incoming udp and tcp packets via port 123

am I missing something that allows UFW (firewall on ubuntu) to accept incoming external requests that are sent to the external IP (via the domain name)

I imagine at this point it is more of a ubuntu question than an arduino one.

Nick Gammon

am I missing something that allows UFW (firewall on ubuntu) to accept incoming external requests that are sent to the external IP (via the domain name)

I am having trouble visualizing an external request being sent to an external IP. Where does the internal stuff come into it?

however I am not able to utilize my dyndns domain name to send a request.

A request to what?

dxw00d

I think the OP is saying he wants his Arduino to make an ntp request to his dyndns provided hostname, which routes back to his pc, so requiring a path external to his lan. I'm not sure it would leave his lan though. His router would get the external IP back, and know it was it's own address.

Nick Gammon

dxw00d

Hopefully, he can answer that. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Go Up