Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: zigbee prototyping  (Read 1515 times)
Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

If B and C need to exchange information, is there some reason that B can't ask A to talk to C? If that is acceptable, then A can be in broadcast mode, talking to B and C at the same time, with specific messages for each, that the other ignores. B talks to A and says "Hey, A, tell C xxxx", so A says "C xxxx". C responds "Hey, A, tell B yyyy" and A says "B yyyy".

Amsterdam, Netherlands
View Profile

Thanks Paul, i wasn't thinking about that possibility. But there's no reason why that could not work!
And the series 1 xbees will support broadcast right? If so, i think i'll just go with a couple of the 1mw wire antenna series 1.

Amsterdam, Netherlands
View Profile

Pff, sorry to bother you again for one more question:

The project i'm working on is a prototyping project but i'm also thinking of the way the project would work for real.
So i know that for prototyping i could use the xbee series 1. Using an (USB) explorer i can configure each xbee to be in the
same network, adress range etc..

However, the situation is so that these xbees (max about 10) should autodetect (discover) and connect to a coordinator xbee
that is in broadcast mode. I read in the xbee datasheet
that there is support for this, but this is a peer-to-peer setup, which differs from the broadcast setup, right?

Thanks!

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

However, the situation is so that these xbees (max about 10) should autodetect (discover) and connect to a coordinator xbee
that is in broadcast mode.
And the problem is?

One of your XBees MUST be in broadcast mode, so that it can talk to all the other XBees. It's the MY address of that XBee that is the DL value of the other XBees. A will talk to B (and all the others); B will talk to A. A will talk to C (and all the others); C will talk to A. A will talk to D (and all the others); D will talk to A. And so on...

Amsterdam, Netherlands
View Profile

There's no problem, it was more a question of: is it possible to use the autodetect/discover
feature while still using the broadcast thing (i have really little knowledge about these protocols etc.),
but your answer kind of suggests it is. Then i should now look into how i know which device is
which device when using this discovery system (because A is still A, and B is still B and they should do different
things, they are not 'interchangeable'). But i think that's covered in the datasheet?

Thanks for the support!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: