Go Down

Topic: 2 way xbee possible? (Read 479 times) previous topic - next topic

Wolf_gsxr

hi, im trying to make to hand held devices that display the position of the other device on an lcd screen. (sort of friend finder) i have 2 arduino's, 2 gps modules and the lcd's but i need to wirelessly link  the two devices together so i thought about the xbee. however as far as i can work out one is a transmitter and one is a receiver. i need them to be able to talk to eachother to send there own gps position to the other device and also receive theirs so that the paired device knows were the other one is from itself. (sort of radar, shows distance away, bearing etc) i just cant find a way of wirelessly linking the 2 handheld devices wirelessly 2-way upto 1-1.5km. any input appreciated

PaulS

however as far as i can work out one is a transmitter and one is a receiver.

I don't know what you are working from, but you are arriving at the wrong answer. XBees are transceivers. They can, and do, talk back and forth.

i just cant find a way of wirelessly linking the 2 handheld devices wirelessly 2-way upto 1-1.5km.

Check the various XBee specs. 1.5 Km is pretty far, and will chew up batteries pretty quick.

Wolf_gsxr

Mar 05, 2012, 02:20 pm Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012, 02:23 pm by Wolf_gsxr Reason: 1
thanks for the quick reply,thats what was throwing me. i know there transievers but i was told that they had to be set to transmit or receive or they wouldnt talk to eachother. thats great news then. i know some of the xbee's were capable of about 40 miles but that would be to impractical. i need it to be around 1km because if it was only a few hundred meters or so id probably be able to see the person with the other device anyway.

so it is possible to send gps positioning data through xbee? as for the batteries il worry about that when i get there lol.

this is what im aiming at but much more simple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSOTb82G5YY&feature=channel

thanks again.

PaulS

so it is possible to send gps positioning data through xbee?

It's just text, so, yes.

Go Up