Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Uploading sketch without USB plug  (Read 370 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I wanted to know if I can upload my skecht through a proto shield (via port TX and RX?) without using the usb plug?

I am already powering my board with the 5V and gnd, the board works.Then I tryied to connect the TX and RX pins of my board directly to the usb cable but it didn't work.

So, how can I upload programs without using the usb plug, and possibly through a shield?
I am asking because I have built a casing that includes interfacing (with my kind of plugs) and it's own "wall" usb plug. the arduino board is inside the box

Thanks for your answers

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi,

I wanted to know if I can upload my skecht through a proto shield (via port TX and RX?) without using the usb plug?

I am already powering my board with the 5V and gnd, the board works.Then I tryied to connect the TX and RX pins of my board directly to the usb cable but it didn't work.

So, how can I upload programs without using the usb plug, and possibly through a shield?
I am asking because I have built a casing that includes interfacing (with my kind of plugs) and it's own "wall" usb plug. the arduino board is inside the box

Thanks for your answers

You can upload a sketch without using the arduino on-board USB plug. However that just means you would have to have another USB serial convertor chip installed on the shield board with it's own USB plug. I don't think this is what you have in mind. I have no idea what a 'USB wall connector' is but it just sounds like you need a physical cable connection for the arduino's USB jack and whatever connector type you have installed into your project box?

Lefty

View Profile

thanks for the answer

another USB serial convertor chip installed on the shield board with it's own USB plug is probably over my capabilities.
the a 'USB wall connector' is nothing more than a connector I have taken from a garbage printer, installed on the wall of my box to simply connect my USB cable on it. then I have connected 5V and gnd, and need now to connect com pins.
I have no space to plug something in the onboard USB jack because of my box. So I think I will solder these 2 wires, no the best but too late to change

thanks again

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

That is still not totally clear to me. But just so you realize that the USB D+ and D- signals are not the same as the arduino serial send and receive signals. There is no way no matter the wiring or connection method used can the arduino pins 0 and 1 wire directly to the USB D+ and D- wires, they are different signals and only a USB serial converter chip can convert back and forth serial data via the USB bus.

Lefty

View Profile

thanks, your message is clear  smiley .I am now aware of that, and I was telling I will solder direclty the pins of the onboard usb connector (no the pins 0 and 1 as I thaught when I designed my box, I miss understood things) to the box USB connector. Simply a physical relocation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: