Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need some thoughts on a project...  (Read 3098 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Let me start of by saying, I am a PLC guy.  I have a ton of working knowledge with PLC's and programming them, however, I have no other programming experience or knowledge really.  So, i'm looking to make a project that consists of 8 to 12 Digital Inputs and about 64 to 100 Digital Outputs.  When on of the Digital Inputs is triggered High, I want some of the outputs to turn on.  Which ones turn on would be variable.  I want to interface with a HMI or flash based interface and be able to visually move around "blocks" and based on the order in which these "blocks" are placed determine which outputs turn on and which do not.  I want to be able to assign a different "Block" order to each input.  So for example, I want input 1 to coincide with "Blocks" 1, 3, 4, 6, and 9 in that order and turn on the respective outputs.  I want input 2 to coincide with "Blocks" 1,2,3, and 5 and turn on their respective outputs.  I want input 3 to coincide with "Blocks" 4,2,5, and 7 and turn on the correct outputs for those blocks.  These outputs will turn on relays which will route a signal through the realworld blocks in the order assigned to each input.  The HMI or flash based interface will be for the end user to decide which "Blocks" and the order and to assign to his/her specific input.  I was going to do all of this with a PLC, however the cost and the size is daunting.  A gentleman at a PLC place recommended I check out Arduino.  If anyone lives near Fort Wayne, Indiana, and could help me with this idea, I would definitely pay someone.  Thanks for any and all help.   

Shawn

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Does your project have anything to do with "Interactive Art"?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I have a board with 12 8-bit shift registers (96 outputs) that are capable of sinking 150mA each,
12 other I/0, and 2 more for serial port.
Sounds like it would do what you need hardware wise.
Software, you want to write your own?
Not sure what PLC is. I'm not a PC programmer.
I'm sure we could develop a protocol to download an array on the fly that would be used to determine the order of IO turned when a digital pin is 'triggered' (i.e. input pin with internal pullup resistor, reads as a 1, and reads as 0 when pulled to ground with an external switch).

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Not sure what PLC is
PLC is a programmable Logic Controller.  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller -

It is a controller which (very roughly) given a certain state of the input lines it will set the state of outputlines. Very fast and robust. Often used in machine control e.g. food packaging etc. They also include timers and state. It used to be mainly and/or ports but ~10years ago microcontrollers were added so their functionality increased. Typiclaly PLC were connected over an RS485 bus (noise preventing long lines) today you see TCP/IP and ethernet-based propietary busses for communication.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Yes, I do believe this project would fall under interactive art.  I'm looking at making a control board to turn on effects pedals for guitars.

View Profile

Did you ever get this accomplished?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: