Go Down

Topic: Help - unable to compile example in flash library using FreeBSD (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kb3dow

I am using avr-gcc 4.5.1 on FreeBSD 7.0 and am unable to compile the example flash_streaming file for the flash library.
The other example file flash_example is compiling though.
The following line
Serial << F("This is a test string");
throws up an error by the compiler which says

flash_streaming.cpp:210:13: error: reinterpret_cast from type 'const char*' to type '__FlashStringHelper*' casts away qualifiers

I have checked that this line of code after preprocessing is

Serial << (reinterpret_cast<__FlashStringHelper *>((__extension__({static const char __c[] __attribute__((__progmem__)) = ("This is a test string"); &__c[0];})))) ;

Could someone give me pointers as to whats going wrong?

Coding Badly

Does this compile...

Serial << "This is a test string";

kb3dow

Does this compile...
Serial << "This is a test string";

Yes - I have more details
/////-- Sample code --

FLASH_STRING(big_string, "The quick brown fox\n"); // Compiles

void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(115200);  //
    Serial  << big_string;   // Compiles
    Serial << F("jumped over \n");  // Does NOT Compile
    Serial << "the lazy sleeping dogs";    // Compiles
}

////////The pre-processed output is shown below
static const char big_string_flash[] __attribute__((__progmem__)) = "The quick brown fox\n"; _FLASH_STRING big_string(big_string_flash);;

void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(115200);
    Serial << big_string;
    Serial << (reinterpret_cast<__FlashStringHelper *>((__extension__({static const char __c[] __attribute__((__progmem__)) = ("jumped over \n"); &__c[0];}))
    Serial << "the lazy sleeping dogs";
}

////// Compiler error
tst.cpp:9:15: error: reinterpret_cast from type 'const char*' to type '__FlashStringHelper*' casts away qualifiers

kb3dow

Are you using Arduino 1.0?

Yes - the only difference from the stock arduino-1.0-linux.tgz is that I have added makefiles to ease compilation, and patched Print.h according to the instructions in Flash/patching_print.txt

johnwasser

Apparently, whatever code supports the << operator for serial output doesn't support __FlashStringHelper.

I'm afraid you'll have to use Serial.print(F("String")); instead of Serial << F("String");
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

kb3dow

It is not a problem with the flash library as the << works in general but F() does not - even when used without the flash library.
Serial.print(F("Hello World")); does not work and gives the same error. BTW I am using avr-gcc-4.5.1

kb3dow

Would any special compiler switch be needed by any chance??

kb3dow

This issue appears to be due to a bug in the F() macro declaration in WString.h
More details in this post
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,91314.msg735641.html#msg735641

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy