Go Down

Topic: analog accelerometer voltage to g conversion? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

sti robot

Apr 06, 2007, 03:41 pm Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 03:42 pm by sti_robot Reason: 1
I have a +/-1.2g digital and analog accelerometer and am currently running it as analog.  Here's all the pertinent info:
-It is running off the 5Volt power and putting both analog Voltages out to two analog pins on the arduino.
-At rest it outputs in the 500's (which is close to 2.5V or 0g)
-The specific accelerometer/breakout board can be found here: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=843

My question is how do I tell what output is equivalent to 1g or .5g or whatever?  
How do I convert the voltage input (0-1024) to a gravity number, what scale does it sit on?
More important (esp. for others) how do I figure this out in general with an analog accelerometer?

jims

The numerical value you read on the analog pin is a linear function of the voltage on the pin, and should be 0 at 0 volts, more or less.

I believe your device's voltage is a linear function of Gs. 0g is 2.5V (at 5V supplies), and it will vary some number of millivolts/G. The ADXL202E is 312mV/G, but I don't have a datasheet for your part handy. Look it up. You are looking for the "Sensitivity" section for values expressed in mV/G.

Near the end of the datasheet it has a handy note on calibration. Turn your part so gravity gives you a +1G, measure. Turn your part so gravity gives you a -1G, measure. Calculate constants for your part. Isn't it handy that you are supplied with a 1G sample planet to make the math easy?

sti robot

^ Good ideas, thanks.

I was wondering about that +/-1 g test.  Unfortunately I'm at work and can't do any of this until I get home.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy