Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A Spark plug controlled from the Arduino - Review of guide  (Read 2661 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

I am using an Arduino, Mosfet and ignition coil to make a spark plug spark.
- I have put together this little guide for others, who might need to control spark plugs.
http://christian.liljedahl.dk/guides/arduino-spark-plug

The setup works fine for me, but my electronics skills are not at guru-level.

Do anyone foresee any problems in the current setup? - I don't want to have a guide that misleads people  smiley

Kind regards
Christian Liljedahl

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

The Arduino out to the gate of the mosfet needs a resistor (~220ohm). You need to limit the current being supplied by the pin as the maximum rating is 40ma and charging the gate on a mosfet can pull a bit more juice .. albeit for very short periods of time.

Good writeup. Interesting stuff.

Humboldt, CA
Arduino BBB
View Profile

Be aware that ignition coils will kick between 30 and 400 volts back out the - post, in the long term your MOSFET may suffer because of it.  A MOSFET rated for 500V or more is a good idea for long term life.
Resistor wise I'd use a ~125ohm, that nails 40ma on the nose.  If you aren't concerned about the lifespan of the Atmega chip you could use lower I suppose.

Other than that, I'd say you're set.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the advice! - I will test it out and update the circuits accordingly.

I did look at the circuit in my oscilloscope and noticed some pretty hefty voltage spikes.
- Probably a good idea to try to keep these down.

My high-voltage (tesla-freak) friend looked a bit concerned at my design too, so I will put in a few of his updates too.

I will submit an update when I have tested and written it. :-)

Kind regards
Christian Liljedahl

View Profile

Hi,
there are ready-to-us chips on the market to drive a ignition coil.

Take a look at this: VB921. I've seen that on Ebay recently. See

View Profile

interesting project, I will have to try it.  One question on the Arduino Uno and Mega would they have the speed to keep up with a cars ignition/fuel system timing?

View Profile

Speed is strongly depending on code. But having a 2stroke engine having currently a fixed ignition retard everything is better than that.  A delay of 8microseconds at 8000RPM would mean a 0,4°retard, which is acceptable to me...there is no such accuracy in calibrating the engine with defined air temperature and engine temperature...

Firing a multicylinder 4-stroke engine is much more challenging and I do not have the software knowledg to do so...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: