Go Down

Topic: Power from light socket (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mun35

Hi

Does anyone know how to power an Arduino with a 220V light socket? I've found various light socket to outlet adapters, but they are for 110V. If they work under 220V, then I could use an outlet to USB adapter on top.

Does anyone know if those 110V light socket adapters will work? If not, are there better ways?

Thanks!

stoopkid

What country are you in? The light socket should be the same voltage as your outlets.

thebfs

yes it should work. with exceptions
the light soccket to plug adapters are just wires that change shape to make it easy to plug what u want in
they tell you a rateing so you know what i works with most 110v stuff here in utah works up to like 300 v so it depends on the guage of the adapter
if it is to small it will heat up and burn out. but as long as you are running small ampres (like the arduino withs acouple of shileds/ atachments you will be fine.
just make sure the wires are not really really really thin.

BTW what are you makeing.

mun35

What country are you in? The light socket should be the same voltage as your outlets.

I'm in the UK. Yes, it'd be 220V.

mun35

yes it should work. with exceptions
the light soccket to plug adapters are just wires that change shape to make it easy to plug what u want in
they tell you a rateing so you know what i works with most 110v stuff here in utah works up to like 300 v so it depends on the guage of the adapter
if it is to small it will heat up and burn out. but as long as you are running small ampres (like the arduino withs acouple of shileds/ atachments you will be fine.
just make sure the wires are not really really really thin.

BTW what are you makeing.

I see. I'm trying to make a bluetooth light bulb. I'll need to find a way to convert 220V to 5V.

oric_dan

I see. I'm trying to make a bluetooth light bulb. I'll need to find a way to convert 220V to 5V.

This is a real probem if you want the entire thing to mount in the lightbulb socket.  The most
convenient way to power an Arduino, aside from plugging into a USB port, is to use a wallwart,
which in general is as large as a lightbulb.

Might be easier to build a box that plugs into the 220VAC wall outlet, and then plug the lamp into it.

florinc

I'll need to find a way to convert 220V to 5V.

An Apple (iPod/iPhone) USB power charger/adapter should work. It plugs into the power socket and outputs 5V, at about 1A.

Henry_Best

DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT USE AN ADAPTER INTENDED FOR 110v. If you plug it in to 220/240v it will blow up or catch fire!

Henry_Best

You would have to build your own power supply using a small 5v transformer and bridge rectifier. The power input would be from a bayonet cap plug and the output would be to a bayonet socket (unless you're using Edison Screw bulbs). With your obvious lack of knowledge of mains equipment, I wouldn't recommend your attempting this. MAINS VOLTAGE (220/240v) CAN KILL!

thebfs

wow im glad ur concerned for him but he in no way implied that he was gonna stick his finger in the socket. he lives in the uk and knows that u cant' fun 110 appliances off 220v. its not a transformer or wallwart designed for 110 it is just a wire adapter right mun35? (no internal electronics)

Yes mains can kill 110 or 220. But he has an adapter, and will/shoud use a 220v walwart.
something like:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-11650-Medium-Adapter-BASE-BROWN/dp/B000UX1U4W
will work 110v or 220 it doesnt matter as long as the amps are low enough.
period thats it.
you do have to make sure u got the right adapter though muns
DONT mess with the mains line i agree there.
screw in the adapter
plug in the wart
and use the power from there
yes it will be bigger than a bulb
but u never said you had a size restriction. others did.
if you do let us know.

Go Up