Go Down

Topic: IDE weirdness - window does not always get repainted (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Coding Badly

Is there a way to check the Java version under the errant operating systems?  

On my Vista computer, "java -version" in a command shell returns this from the Arduino folder (I assume this is the version used by the Arduino IDE)...

[font=Courier New]  java version "1.6.0_16"
  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)[/font]

And this from the root of C...

[font=Courier New]  java version "1.6.0_31"
  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)[/font]

Nick Gammon

Mac:

Code: [Select]
java version "1.6.0_29"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11-402-11D50b)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.4-b02-402, mixed mode)

Windows XP (java in the java\bin folder of the Arduino install directory):

java version "1.6.0_16"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

Ditto on Windows 7 of course, because it is the same downloaded files.

On Windows "java -version" returns:

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

So I guess it is using the one in the Arduino folder, but who knows for sure?

jpbot

This is a bug in the IDE. I discovered it independently last week. Found your thread while searching for a place to report it.

Take a look at your libraries. I'm guessing you made some of your own? I suspect one has a keywords.txt with an error.

I can reproduce the behavior you explained by having a library including a keywords.txt where a keyword is defined as "KEYWORD" instead of "KEYWORD1" or "KEYWORD2" etc.

SirNickity

Anyone seen a case where the menus don't draw properly?

On my XP machine with dual monitors (on a relatively recent Radeon board), the menus are unusable on the primary monitor.  Clicking on them causes the labels to disappear, the menu background color to shift a little, and sluggish response.  I can usually move the mouse to where the option should be and sometimes it'll render that part of the menu long enough to see what I'm supposed to click on.  Sometimes it locks the window until I kill Java.

If I move the window to the secondary monitor, menus work fine.

Nick Gammon

I haven't seen that, however I use a Mac usually. Sometimes the File -> Sketchbook menu can be slow to draw initially but that, I think, is because it scans the entire sketches folder to build up the list, and I'm starting to accumulate a lot of them.

Go Up