Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: complex project, need advices  (Read 2886 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

If you want it to able to remember a sequence even after the power is turned off you can write the program so that it keeps the sequence in the EEPROM which is a permanent memory.

that's cool, i'll add a "store sequence" button. and later i may add a screen or something ( these little modules i'm discovering are so cool ! when i was 5-10, i dreamed of such thing ) , and a few other buttons to select some stored sequences, delete, etc .

View Profile

hi ! i realised in another post that i'm maybe still misunderstanding the way it works, with one analog input divided into several sample rates ...

to simplify my thought i'll give a picture of how i imagine that analog input : to me it's like an input to control one thing with a potentiometer for example. Like a treble control on an amp. But if on the amp i need a treble , a bass , a medium and a volume control, i'll need four separate "analog inputs". I can't have one input only for all the four controls.

and the arduino board has only one true analog input in fact. i don't understand how it works here, with a sample rate divided.

View Profile

Another thing i noticed on your idea was quantizing, am i right ?!? That would be much more complicated, mind. Also, all the things you are asking about- wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to just buy something done?!? and adapt it to your needs ?!? Unless you want to use the project as a way to learn and practice your coding of course , there are midi controllers and implementations for older synths quite advanced out there with kits available that would shorten your time and research many years( cause this seems a project that will take you a couple years, im guessing unless you have enough money to dedicate your whole time to this day after day, of course).
Dont want to discourage you, but instead be a bit realistic and trying to point you to shortcuts/alternatives, thats all ! I always say- why invent the wheel if someone else done it already ?!? that approach will always save you lots of time and hassle, if not money as well !!

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

View Profile

ha ha,yes i wish it would exist on the market, but it doesn't , the way i personaly want.
but i don't think it would need years of work on it anyway. but i don't have time to start the project anyway these days, so .. later. i was worried about the hardware possibilitys, but now it seems solved, thanks to these : 

two like this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9832

and one like this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9595

then, some tests with a couple of potentiometers or encoders, and push/push buttons, to start the code principles, then expanding the project.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

You'll have trouble using those shields together, as they both use pins 2 to 4.

View Profile

yes but someone told me there's a way to mod the boards or something.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Possibly.

Looking over this thread, I think you'll struggle to achieve what you want to do. How good are you at programming? This is not a trivial sketch to write.

View Profile

well, i'll try to see what i can do .. and tell you you were right i guess, but i'll try.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I don't know if you've seen this: http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

It might give you some pointers.

View Profile

thanks, it seems to be really a cool project. But my project is more simple than that sequencer i think.

recording a midi message ( 24 first messages from the midi info received, or less ) , then playing it back, note after note, same spacing between each note.
Then controls for each note, by two options : global velocity for all notes , and global note lenght for all notes. And the second option combined : individual controls for each note ( velocity, lenght ) .
Then, while the sequence is being played in the midi out, the machine can receive a key information by the midi in, to transpose the whole sequence to this note height.  that's the base. It might start to be messy when several notes would be played at the same time, so the machine would perhaps have troubles to know where to transpose the sequence.

the perfect example that shows what i'm describing is here at 2:17. See how he transposes the sequence.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BmcHMA-rFCQ#t=136s

then , some features to correct the info about which key it is, on each note. and which steps are blank, and at which step the sequence restarts from the begining, or the other option to have the sequence played only once, or twice, etc ..

View Profile

Hope you are aware that there is gonna be a considerable latency in what you want to achieve...And i mean quite an audible one, mind !! It is already audible in much faster processing like PC's, nevermind in a uC like arduino !!

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

View Profile

Plus auto quantizing is quite prone to misinterpretation, depending how accurate you can play( and we all know how hard it that, when opposed to quantized music, right ?!?) So, for live music , and cosidering you want to do it real time it seems you have a lot of obstacles to transpose there.

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

View Profile

i don't understand why there would be a latency, other than when adjusting a controler, the time needed for the sample rate to be synchronised with the new information from the button you're turning.
other than that, it's like the blipping of the little led on the arduino board : if i set it to a desired frequency, like 100 ms off , 200 ms on , 50 ms off etc etc ... the difference is that it's in midi info, not led light. and each note of the synth/keyboard is a different led i'm playing with, one by one :
500 ms this note, with 90 of velocity, then
500 ms this other note, with 90 of velocity, then
500 ms this other note, with 120 of velocity , etc etc ...

But maybe i'm wrong somewhere ?

View Profile

And what are you gonna base the clock reference on ?!? You gonna need a master clock( Word time clock, mtc ?!?) to base the calculation on, to start with am i right ?!?

10 LET Loop=Infinite
20 GO TO 10

View Profile

yes off course, a tempo button that would adjust  all the spacing between all the notes events, which are all the same in any case
An overal button to adjust proportionaly the velocitys of each notes ( though they can be adjusted independantly, so this button adjusts the values proportionaly, or with a reset button : to a default value that the global velocity button adjusts )

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: