Go Down

Topic: Getting extremely low range (~2ft) with nrf24l01+ pa lna with external antenna (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

Haridhra

Hello there,

I'm using an nrf24l01+ rf transceiver with and arduino uno and raspberry pi.But I'm having some issues with the range, I get only less than 2ft range(at home on the same table!) .I saw that the nrf24l01+ transceiver with the antenna should have a range of about 1km in open field.

The PA level is set to MIN.

I'm transmitting from the arduino and receiving on the pi.

What am I doing wrong? I need some assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Haridhra

Robin2

I have range of at least 30 ft with the cheap nRF24s with the PCB antenna. I have no experience of the high powered version but I have heard that it can overwhelm the receiver - maybe it would work at a much longer distance?

In any case without seing your code it is impossible to make specific suggestions.

Have you any other working nRF24 system, or is this your first attempt?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Haridhra

Hello,

First of all thanks for the quick reply! :)

Unfortunately I don't have any other of nrf24l01+ modules and this is my first attempt in RF communication. :(

I have attached the code on arduino with the file name nrf24l01.ino below.Would you need the code on the pi too?

I am not using any capacitor and i am powering the module from the 3.3v pin on the uno, should i power it through the 5v pin and add a step down regulator? I am planning to move my project to the pro mini once i have succeeded in getting a good range with the uno.

Thanks in advance,
Haridhra.

Robin2

I have just had a very quick look at your code. It seems very long and complex. For initial testing I suggest you try something very much simpler that just sends "Hello World" repeatedly.

I had missed the fact that the other end of your link is on an RPi and I don't have one of them. I would be curious to see a simple example of nRF24 code for an RPi.

There is a simple two-way system in the pair of programs in this link. It should not be difficult to adapt one of them to work on an RPi. If you choose to try that make sure only to make changes to one of the programs.

It would also be good if you have a second Arduino so you could prove that the system works before trying to adapt it to the RPi.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Whandall

The high power module probably will not work from the Unos 3.3V, at least if it is transmitting.
Without capacitor even the standard modules may fail (some of my modules need it, some seem to work without).
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

What antenna are you using? If it's one from a WiFi device then the center wire is not connected as both parts have a female socket. Put a short piece of wire in one side to make it a male pin.

Robin2

Put a short piece of wire in one side to make it male.
Is that sort of comment allowed in this Forum?   :)

...R

Arctic_Eddie

A few words with a thousand meanings, and these days, some of them are probably true. I'll add a word to clarify.

Robin2

Haridhra

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply...

Yesterday I burnt my uno. :(  :(
I powered it through my twelve volt dc - one amps power supply as usual, i added connected the nrf2401+ module to the 5v pin on the uno with a 3.3v step down voltage regulator.Is there anything wrong in this setup? I have no idea on why my uno got burnt and even my voltage regulator got extremely hot. Any views on this would be extremely useful. :)

So cannot test Robin's code now. I am going to start on my pro mini after i get my USB to TTL converter instead of getting another uno as i want my unit to be quite small.

Will begin posting again once i get my USB to TTL serial converter.

Thanks,
Haridhra.

Robin2

You need to draw a diagram of all your connections and post a photo of it if you want advice about what went wrong.

...R

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy