Go Down

Topic: Making LCD menu's: multidimensional char arrays. (Read 2402 times) previous topic - next topic

MG2R

I'm trying to make a multidimensional character array to hold menu strings in an LCD project.
The idea is that I have a maximum of MAX menu items. Every menu item has ROW rows. Every row contains a maximum of CHAR characters. After reading for a bit, I found out that 2D arrays need to be declared via a pointer. The problem is that it doesn't work for a 3D array!

The following code displays empty lines, but I cannot find my mistake.

Code: [Select]

#define CHAR 16   //Number of characters per LCD line
#define MAX  100  //Max number of menu items
#define ROW  2    //Number of LCD rows

char firstrun[MAX][ROW][CHAR]=
      {  {  "This is menu 01", "This is menu 02"  },
         {  "This is menu 11", "This is menu 12"  }  };

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
 while(Serial.available()==0){}
 int i=Serial.read()-'0';

lcdWrite(firstrun[i][0], firstrun[i][1]);
}

//commented some lines out for debugging via serial monitor
void lcdWrite(char line1[], char line2[])
{
  //lcdPosition(0,0);
  Serial.println(line1);
  //lcdPosition(1,0);
  Serial.println(line2);
  return;
}

PaulS

After reading for a bit, I found out that 2D arrays need to be declared via a pointer.

You are reading in the wrong place, then.

However, even before you begin to initialize the array, you need to consider this:
Code: [Select]
#define CHAR 16   //Number of characters per LCD line
#define MAX  100  //Max number of menu items
#define ROW  2    //Number of LCD rows

16 * 100 * 2 = 3200 bytes of the 2K that you have available, if you are using a 328-based board.

Try making MAX a (much) more reasonable value.

MG2R

You are reading in the wrong place, then.

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/String looked quite reliable...

Apparantly, the code works fine if I use char firstrun[][ROW][CHAR] instead of char firstrun[MAX][ROW][CHAR]. Probably because of the memory limitation. Thanks!

PaulS

Apparantly, the code works fine if I use char firstrun[][ROW][CHAR] instead of char firstrun[MAX][ROW][CHAR]. Probably because of the memory limitation. Thanks!

The [] on the first declaration tells the compiler to count the initializers. Since you are only providing 2, not 100, the array only takes 2 * 2 * 16 bytes, or 64 bytes. Much less than the 3200 that the [MAX] version needs.

MG2R

The [] on the first declaration tells the compiler to count the initializers. Since you are only providing 2, not 100, the array only takes 2 * 2 * 16 bytes, or 64 bytes. Much less than the 3200 that the [MAX] version needs.

Interesting! That's actually ideal, because the array won't be changed, ever (once the code is final) :) Thanks again!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy