Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: water level sensor  (Read 957 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

hello. I need to make a level sensor for a small amount of water (2 litre bottle) to attatch to an arduino to control a motor. I need help with what sort of sensor I shoud use. Any suggestions? It needs to have a low and high sensor, 1 normally open, the other normally colsed.

cheers

View Profile

Wow,
There are so many options!
If you need great reliability go with a comercial sensor (and there is a bewildering array of them) Check out McMaster.com
If you are making your own consider these ideas.
-A Sharp IR distance sensor looking down to the liquid
-same Idea with a sonar sensor
-A float with a magnet and a hall effect sensor (sensors can be found with open collector and ttl outputs)
-Not green but you could find an old thermostat with a Mercury switch and put it on a tilting float
-Lots of circuts that use the conductivity and/or capacitance of the water are available on the internet.
-if you are actually using a 2 liter bottle you could arrange opto sensors to look through the bottle and note the change in transparency.
Figure out your needs and take a pick

Arduino rocks
View Profile

cheers for that Kirk. will figure out which road to travel down now.

Kyp

Arduino rocks
View Profile

If I use a Sharp IR distance sensor looking down to the liquid, is there a best one to use for detecting maximum distance of 30cm, minimum distance of 4cm?

cheers

K

Austin, TX
Shh! I am hunting wabbit. Killlll the wabbit!
View Profile

I just saw an interesting homemade water level sensor in Nuts and Volts magazine.  The author used two strips of aluminum tape to not quite complete a circumference of a water container.  He then attached wires to the conductive tape and formed a capacitor.  Using a timed RC circuit where the C is the water level capacitor he could indicate when the container was full.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: