Go Down

Topic: water level sensor (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hello. I need to make a level sensor for a small amount of water (2 litre bottle) to attatch to an arduino to control a motor. I need help with what sort of sensor I shoud use. Any suggestions? It needs to have a low and high sensor, 1 normally open, the other normally colsed.

There are so many options!
If you need great reliability go with a comercial sensor (and there is a bewildering array of them) Check out McMaster.com
If you are making your own consider these ideas.
-A Sharp IR distance sensor looking down to the liquid
-same Idea with a sonar sensor
-A float with a magnet and a hall effect sensor (sensors can be found with open collector and ttl outputs)
-Not green but you could find an old thermostat with a Mercury switch and put it on a tilting float
-Lots of circuts that use the conductivity and/or capacitance of the water are available on the internet.
-if you are actually using a 2 liter bottle you could arrange opto sensors to look through the bottle and note the change in transparency.
Figure out your needs and take a pick

cheers for that Kirk. will figure out which road to travel down now.

If I use a Sharp IR distance sensor looking down to the liquid, is there a best one to use for detecting maximum distance of 30cm, minimum distance of 4cm?

I just saw an interesting homemade water level sensor in Nuts and Volts magazine.  The author used two strips of aluminum tape to not quite complete a circumference of a water container.  He then attached wires to the conductive tape and formed a capacitor.  Using a timed RC circuit where the C is the water level capacitor he could indicate when the container was full.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131