Go Down

Topic: Help with a MicroChip 24C08 Serial EEPROM (Read 761 times) previous topic - next topic

Joseph Duchesne

Hi, I just got my Arduino last night and I've spent all day today wiring it up with a HT44780 compatible 8x2 display, and 3 pushbuttons. I've got a simple menu interface that lets me scroll left and right and change parameters (such as the turning the backlight on and off), or run a different subroutine and stuff. It's  been a bit of work getting everything the way I want it, but I did it.

I'm now trying to hook it up to a 24LC08B two wire serial 8k EEPROM and create the commands
Code: [Select]
void writeEEPByte(int location, byte b);
byte readEEPByte(int location);

The EEPROM is I2C compatible, and I was thinking that I might be able to use wire to talk to it, but I have no idea how to add Wire to my Arduino project. Does anyone here have any experience working with EEPROMs? Some tips that would let me write those two functions with (or better yet, without) any libraries would be appreciated.

I have the EEPROM plugged into ports 1 and 2 on a new USB Arduino.

Here's the datasheet PDF: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21710E.pdf

I'm completely stuck and have no idea how to talk to this device. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Go Up