Go Down

Topic: HC SR04 on long wire (Read 170 times) previous topic - next topic

Chiopas

Hello,

I have faced a problem with connecting HC SR04 via long wire. My wire is about 15meters long (it's regular CAT5E cable) and sensor isn't working. If I connect with short wire than it works fine. I used multimeter to measure the voltage and it's 4,6v and I've found in one of the forums that this sensor should work in range of 5v - 4,5v.
I'm very new to electronics and I do not know what to do. Maybe you can help me to solve this problem?

klemko

Oct 24, 2016, 12:49 pm Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016, 12:55 pm by klemko
there are several fixes/workarounds:

-you can use osciloscope to check interefences on the cable
-if there are interferences, you can use low/high pass filter on the line(which is basicly a RC or LC filter, or maybe jsut a simple capacitor, use google for more info)

I had simialr problem when sensing a object location and all i needed was to know if object is 50cm or 100cm away from sensor, so i added a hand soldered breadboard version(4x2cm) of arduino(it costs me like 3€ to make 1) uno right next to the sensor and then jsut used 1s long HIGH/LOW logic signal to send over 30 meter cable via 2 digital input/output + pulldown resistor. On ther other side i jsut checked for HIGH or LOW(over the period of 1second, whit 1us interval to check if this is really signal or is interference).

Still works after 1 year whit no problem. Although you can use similar logic and use a hand soldered atmega328 close to sensor and use it to convert data from sensor to a communication that is more suitable for long distances.

GL whit your project

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy