Go Down

Topic: Need some help working with a SM5100b shield (Read 663 times) previous topic - next topic

rturk3

Mar 13, 2012, 07:49 pm Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 07:54 pm by rturk3 Reason: 1
I am trying to connect a SM5100b cellular shield from sparkfun with my Mega 2560.

I have followed John Boxall's tutorial. Here is my set-up and issues, any advice is greatly appreciated:

Shield D2 to Mega 19
Shield D3 to Mega 18.

Arduino and Shield powered via a 5V 2A rail.

When I load the pass-through sketch I get:

Starting SM5100b Communication...
Then a bunch of small boxes (empty characters)

I tried both 9600 and 115200 for the Serial1.begin rate.

Can anyone think of something else I can do, or notice anything funny in my setup? Any way to test if the module is bad? I tested each header pin on the shield and they're all good.

Did you get the issue resolved? I'm at the same point today.

Thanks.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who are good at maths, and those who aren't.

It sounds like your sm5100b is configured for 115200 baud which SoftwareSerial doesnt handle.  I had the same issue.  To resolve you need to load a blank sketch onto your arduino (define empty setup() and loop() functions).  And run a jumper from pin 2-3 and 1-4.  then use a terminal application (hyper terminal on win/ screen on mac) and connect to the usb serial device at 115200 baud.

Then send the following command:

AT+IPR=9600

and restart, then you can talk to it at 9600 baud

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who are good at maths, and those who aren't.

Pedro Ferrer

Hello

I'm getting problems ~ similar to yours.
Please take a look

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,52771.msg936520.html#msg936520

Thanks on advance
Pedro Ferrer

Go Up