Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Reading the output of a TX into an RX  (Read 409 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

At the moment I have a touch screen that I usually interface to via Windows (serial DB9 RS232 connection). I noticed it has a RX/TX/VIN/GND/SHIELD pins on the controller, so I soldered a pin from the RX on the touch controller to pin 2 on my Arduino. How should I read this output?

There is definitely output, when I touch the screen I get information coming through using the SoftwareSerial library, but its garbage, so I'm guessing I should be reading this input in a different manner. (I do know the structure of the packet the USB receives, so I am looking for something similar to that).

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I get information coming through using the SoftwareSerial library, but its garbage,
One assumes that the data is not garbage, just the output of your code smiley

Speaking of which, can you show us the code?

Do you know the bit rate, # data and stop bits, does it use parity etc?

so I soldered a pin from the RX on the touch controller to pin 2 on my Arduino
Well unsolder it right now, if it's RS232 it is +-12v and will/may blow up your Arduino.

Also if it's RS232 you need to invert the data, I think Software serial has that feature.

______
Rob
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:00:08 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

(I do know the structure of the packet the USB receives, so I am looking for something similar to that).
What ever you are looking for it is not that.

At the moment I have a touch screen that I usually interface to via Windows (serial DB9 RS232 connection).
It would be good if you provide a link to it.

To convert RS232 to something you can feed into an Arduino you need a level converter something like the Max202 or one of the very many variants.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: