Go Down

Topic: Question about L.E.D strip lights and the Arduino? (Read 2887 times) previous topic - next topic

Demonic69

Ah, you didn't mention it was one of those types of strip.
I'm assuming that you can change the colour of the whole strip with the remote, not the individual segments?
The knight-rider strips on youtube are designed that way, with smaller sections sharing a common ground or vcc.
Depending on if the strip is controlled as a whole or by segment you need to figure out if they're common anode or cathode.
So one live and a ground for each colour, or 3 lives and one ground. This changes the methods best used.
If you post up which LED strip it is we can take a look.
Have you searched on here for RGB LED strip? I'm sure there will be loads of topics on this already mate

MrTryHard

Ah, you didn't mention it was one of those types of strip.
I'm assuming that you can change the colour of the whole strip with the remote, not the individual segments?
The knight-rider strips on youtube are designed that way, with smaller sections sharing a common ground or vcc.
Depending on if the strip is controlled as a whole or by segment you need to figure out if they're common anode or cathode.
So one live and a ground for each colour, or 3 lives and one ground. This changes the methods best used.
If you post up which LED strip it is we can take a look.
Have you searched on here for RGB LED strip? I'm sure there will be loads of topics on this already mate

This is what I have:
http://www.topledlight.com/5m-50505060-smd-rgb-led-light-strip-controller-power-supply_p419.html

My plan was to cut every 16 inches and just solder wires to the "connect" points. I would assume doing this will control the whole triangle, I have not searched on here for RGB LED strip but I am about to now

Demonic69

Still not sure if it's common anode or cathode, what connect points do you have?
If you cut every 16" you'll be able to control 3 16" segments, can't see you getting a knight-rider out of that mate.
I'd cut and solder at least every 2", giving you 24 controllable sections, every 4" if you just wanted 2.

MrTryHard

Still not sure if it's common anode or cathode, what connect points do you have?
If you cut every 16" you'll be able to control 3 16" segments, can't see you getting a knight-rider out of that mate.
I'd cut and solder at least every 2", giving you 24 controllable sections, every 4" if you just wanted 2.

To be honest I'm not sure how you can tell? If I can't get the knight rider effect but can get it to flash, breathe, etc etc then I'll be ok with that. I see what you're saying and appreciate the advice and help.

Demonic69

Mar 21, 2012, 10:37 am Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 10:42 am by Demonic69 Reason: 1
You can tell by the markings on the strip, they'll either say 12v, R, G, B.
Or R, G, B, GND
You can get the whole thing to breathe, flash etc easily enough, you'd only need one transistor per colour for the whole thing

MrTryHard

You can tell by the markings on the strip, they'll either say 12v, R, G, B.
Or R, G, B, GND
You can get the whole thing to breathe, flash etc easily enough, you'd only need one transistor per colour for the whole thing

It says 12V, R, G, B.

I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on it, I was hoping it'd be more of a plug and play  :(

CrossRoads

So try this - connect 12V to 12V, and individually ground  R, G, and B.  You should see each color light up.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up