Go Down

Topic: expected initializer before void (Read 4362 times) previous topic - next topic

I am trying to compile my Arduino sketch (https://github.com/mchr3k/arduino/blob/master/wsn_arduino/wsn_arduino.ino) and I am getting a very strange error.

wsn_arduino:-1: error: expected initializer before 'void'
wsn_arduino:-1: error: expected initializer before 'void'
wsn_arduino:13: error: expected initializer before 'void'

I know that this error usually indicates a missing semi colon. However, I'm not sure how I can have missed a semicolon on line -1 and I can't actually spot any missing semi colons.

Can anyone else spot my mistake or suggest what this error means in my case?

PaulS

I don't know what you expect us to do with that link. All I see are a bunch of confusing links to other place. I have no idea where to go to find your code, nor much interest in trying. Post your code in a code window or as an attachment to the post, if the code is too large.

Coding Badly

Make the message window larger and you will see the light...

Code: [Select]
sketch_mar14a.cpp:3:24: error: MANCHESTER.h: No such file or directory
sketch_mar14a.cpp:4:26: error: SerialReader.h: No such file or directory
In file included from C:\Projects\Arduino\Sketch\libraries\SdFat/SdFat.h:26,
                 from sketch_mar14a.cpp:5:
C:\Projects\Arduino\Sketch\libraries\SdFat/SdFile.h:36: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void SdFile::write(uint8_t)'
C:\Arduino\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error:   overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'
sketch_mar14a:-1: error: expected initializer before 'void'
sketch_mar14a:13: error: expected initializer before 'void'

I don't know what you expect us to do with that link. All I see are a bunch of confusing links to other place. I have no idea where to go to find your code, nor much interest in trying. Post your code in a code window or as an attachment to the post, if the code is too large.

I'm not sure why the link isnt working for you. It is a direct link to my .ino file hosted on GitHub. Clicking the link works fine for me. I will attach the source file directly later today when I am back at a PC.

Make the message window larger and you will see the light...

Code: [Select]
sketch_mar14a.cpp:3:24: error: MANCHESTER.h: No such file or directory
sketch_mar14a.cpp:4:26: error: SerialReader.h: No such file or directory
In file included from C:\Projects\Arduino\Sketch\libraries\SdFat/SdFat.h:26,
                 from sketch_mar14a.cpp:5:
C:\Projects\Arduino\Sketch\libraries\SdFat/SdFile.h:36: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void SdFile::write(uint8_t)'
C:\Arduino\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error:   overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'
sketch_mar14a:13: error: expected initializer before 'void'

Unfortunately I have already tried expanding the message window. The errors which I posted are the only error output which I get even when I turn on verbose compilation.

If you are trying to reproduce my issue you will need to add all of the same libraries to your arduino workspace libraries folder: https://github.com/mchr3k/arduino/tree/master/libraries. This includes the latest SdFat library which I think fixes the error you are getting.

Unfortunately I can't do better than linking to GitHub as I am posting from my phone. I will try to put together a more helpful zip of the required files later today.

Coding Badly

[font=Courier New]NOINLINE[/font] is not defined.  Remove it from your sketch.

[font=Courier New]NOINLINE[/font] is not defined.  Remove it from your sketch.

Perfect - this has fixed my problem. Thanks!

This was valid when I was using SD.h which wrapped an older version of SdFat that defined this constant. I updated to use a newer version of SdFat directly and this caused my problem.

https://github.com/mchr3k/arduino/commit/16445a302c34d0a65f88d80fe0203f9072bac4b7

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy