Go Down

Topic: Your languages? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

bld

I am wondering how many languages people here "speak", I am from Denmark, and normally I speak Danish. I can understand german, but not talk or write it.

Of programming languages I can C#, some C/C++, ASP, a bit PHP and LSL (http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=HomePage)

And all self learned, with a lot use of google. :)

What about you? Are English your native language? And what about programming languages? And lastly, how did you learn them?
captain-slow.dk | non contagious!

Groove

May 10, 2010, 04:25 pm Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:31 pm by GrooveFlotilla Reason: 1
English (native) French (reasonably fluent - I can hold a conversation about land-reclamation in Aquitaine)), Russian & German (I can order a meal!)

C/C++ (mostly learned on the job), various assemblers (MACRO11, IBM 360, 68K, Intel, PowerPC), and have earned a crust writing in FORTRAN, COBOL, PL/M and occam2.

I think the only languages I was ever formally taught were Algol, COBOL, Lisp and APL.
And BASIC, but the counselling is working, and the flashbacks are much rarer now.
Per Arduino ad Astra

retrolefty

Reminds me of the old joke:

What do you call a person the speaks two languages? .... Bilingual

What do you call a person the speaks three languages? .... Trilingual

What do you call a person the speaks only one language ... American

Lefty

cr0sh

What do you call a person the speaks only one language ... American

That would definitely be me; I can muddle through reading some French and Spanish - very little though, and only what I can barely remember from my high school days.

:)

As far as computer languages are concerned? I've played with way too many to list over the years; BASIC was my first language (and one that I still have a soft spot for - I've used and played with tons of different versions over the years - my favorite was AMOS on the Amiga), I've also messed with LOGO (small Radio Shack class I took as a kid, I also created an interpretor for it in BASIC while in High School for the Apple IIe), Fortran (mainly from learning to translate code from it to BASIC), C/C++ (various), Pascal, DBC/COBOL, PICK (an integrated DB environment which used a variant of BASIC), Assembler (80x86, 68000, 6809, 6502). Most of my more recent work (PC based) has been with PHP, Perl, and Python; I have been looking at FreeBASIC and Gambas (told you I had a soft spot!) lately, though.

What I have learned doing all of this is not to focus on the "language", and instead focus on the process and how it all fits together; most computer languages at the base level today have the same control structures and similar syntax - by not focusing on the "language of the month", I have found that my skills easily transfer environments (and as a result, I am more marketable as an employee).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

andylama

Native English speaker (California dialect), some German, and a few words and phrases in Korean and Spanish

Computer languages:  BASIC, C, Pascal, Assembly, and a few obscure application-specific scripting languages you've never heard of.
I make it all up as I go along.

Go Up