Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: motion of a candle flame for a project  (Read 2428 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone,

I have just started with arduino so i dont know alot.Im a trying to create a connection with objects for a project. I'm trying to detect the movement of a candle flame and sync a light bulb with it so the light bulb flickers. i would be very grateful if someone could advise me on a good sensor and the way to go about creating this connection between the two objects.

Thanks!

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Please do NOT cross post the same question in different sections; it wastes time when people answer it in both parts.
I have deleted your other post.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Hi Derrane,

The easiest way to get started is with 4 LDR's looking at the candle at different angles - LDR =  Light dependant resistors. You connect these to the analog in of the Arduino to 4 analog ports. See - http://learning.codasign.com/index.php?title=Light_Dependent_Resistors_and_Arduino -

Instead of printing the values you can put the values in a function that approximates the flickering. The output of that function is send with digitalWrite to a PWM port control a LED light. You can find this on the reference pages and tutorial sections of arduino.cc

You can also map every LDR onto its own LED, program a memory effect and add additional random fluctuations but that is for version 2.0. First get started with 0.1 understanding teh sensors and the basic program.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

View Profile

Thanks, instead of a LED, i would like it to be a household lightbulb but i know the voltage output would not light an average household bulb and i would need another power source and i have researched arduino boards and i am thinking arduino uno would be best for me especially as i am just starting off but  i want to be 100% sure.

View Profile

also is it possible to run 4 LDR's from an arduino uno to the one light bulb???

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

yes
an Arduino UNO has 6 analog ports so you can even do 6.

YOu can combine these values into one value between 0-255 and use this to analogWRite() a PWM signal which is used to drive teh lightbulb.
But the latter you should ask on the electronic subforum: - how to drive a 220V bulb with PWM.

[mind you I don't know the formula of combining the 4/6 inputs to one output. Averaging does not seem like a good idea, as you want both the peaks and teh minima and duration and ...
If you find the formula please post  smiley

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: