Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mechanical issue, mounting sprocket to stepper  (Read 687 times)
California
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a small sprocket to a stepper motor. I would like for it to be a pretty solid connection rather than jerry rigged... I haven't worked with motors before so I wasn't sure if mine had a standard sized pin that could be interfaced easily. I've attached a simple diagram that I made of it.

I may use a sprocket I find online, or if I can't find anything I should be able to have it cut along with some other things I'm having cut, but that doesn't really solve my problem completely because I still need something that will fit snugly, hold a few pounds and stick out enough to clear the enclosure and the bolt heads fixing the stepper in place. The laser cutter I'm using will only do thin material, I assume.

Anyway, I'm looking for any sort of guidance or suggestions... Thanks

* stepperdiag.gif (7.11 KB, 532x468 - viewed 12 times.)

Dubai, UAE
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,
    Take it to a hobby shop, they have lots of pinions, RC Racers like to change their gear ratios from time to time. If none of the car sized pinions fit, heli pinions might. You should also be able to pick up a few other gears and bearings that will help you along the way.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

View Profile

What exactly is the load going to be?  You mention "hold a few pounds".  And you say "sprocket" - so you want a chain drive?  If you want a gear drive, then you're looking for a Pinion to go on the motor output shaft.  Either way, the motor should ONLY be used to drive - NOT support the load.  You need a larger shaft and pair of bearings to support anything close to a few pounds.

Dallas
nephew as a kittens
View Profile

You should be able to mount something to that shaft by drilling it to the size of the shaft and putting in a set-screw. You might have trouble finding a drill bit exactly the right size.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: