Go Down

Topic: 230V Input check for Arduino? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

da2001

Hi Guys,

i like to "hack" an garage door and want to controll the door with a webbrowser.
For this i need to check the actual status of the Door. So i need to check the 230V relais from the Garagedoor controller.

One way is to use another 230v relais, that switch a channel from the arduino, but i think this isn´t the best way.
Any ideas to check with arduino if theres a 230v power present at a input channel?

michael_x

If you ask, I should not tell you, because 230V is dangerous for Arduinos and Newbies.

Another thing is never pull the 230V N signal to Arduino GND, (assuming you wire L to a diode (e.g. 1N4004) and a 100k resistor to a capacitor (polarized 1µF) and a parallel zener diode <5V) but feed that to an optocoupler. This increases the components price considerably ( from 10 to 40 cent ) but its worth investing, to protect your Arduino.

It's much safer to feed the 230V to a small transformer (230V to 12 or 6V) and do the electronics fiddling as above on the secondary side ( with a smaller resistor, of course).

Runaway Pancake

Can't (shouldn't?) you make a reflective sensor to accomplish this ( X = open/close) ?
"Hello, I must be going..."
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"

da2001

Thanks for your reply! Dont worry, i have more expirience with Highvoltage than microcontroller.
I would Never connect a 230v supply directly to a arduino. I have a Schooling in electrician, but mircocontrollers and low current is new for me :)
So i Need to learn more about optocoupler and so on.. Thats why i ask :)

Jack Christensen

i like to "hack" an garage door and want to controll the door with a webbrowser.
For this i need to check the actual status of the Door. So i need to check the 230V relais from the Garagedoor controller.

High voltage issues aside, I would humbly submit that the status of the door is not necessarily the same as the status of the relays that control the door. If it were me, I'd want to know the status of the door, and would sense it via limit switches or some similar arrangement. The control on my door is a simple pushbutton in a low-voltage circuit. There I would probably use a small relay, actuated by the Arduino, in parallel with the switch.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Go Up