Go Down

Topic: UNO won't stay connected to Com3 for long (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

ARDhelp

Hi everyone.  I've been having this issue the whole time I have been working with the Arduino UNO.  I have Win 7 64 bit and I am connecting to the board on COM 3.  I am using this for a robot so I have 3 sensors and 4 motors connected through other shields.  At times I have had a few different power options but right now I am running a 6 AA battery holder and have had the same problems even with more power connected to it.  I have always been able to connect the board at least for a short time (luckily long enough to upload code) but I do not have a serial LCD and need some way of knowing what the robot is sensing to debug my code but I am unable to do this because after a short amount of time the serial connection will die and I will get the "Com 3 not found" error if I try restarting the serial monitor.  It does seem to work better with less sensors connected to it but it is not practical to unplug everything every time I need to restart. I have tried re-installing drivers but to no avail.  It is a somewhat intermittent issue as I can reset the board and connected for a few seconds or more but I am never able to persistently connect.  Any ideas?

Osgeld

at a first guess it sounds like your drawing too much current from the chip and its resetting
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

ARDhelp

Thanks for the reply! That sounds like it could be the issue is there anyway around it other than temporarily removing sensors?

Simpson_Jr

Instead of using Arduinos 5 volt to power the rest of your project, you could use another +5 volt supply.
I often use +5v and ground from my pc if a project uses more as USB can handle.

Go Up