Go Down

Topic: negative signals read from output (Read 874 times) previous topic - next topic

jmat1

Then how is the arduino getting powered?

The arduino's being powered by the computer I'm plugging it into.

I honestly don't know how I would draw a wiring diagram with a reference to an arduino.

I don't completely understand the interface of the arduino enough to understand what is what

Grumpy_Mike

If your power supply is not connected to the arduino on the +5V then there is no need to connect the ground of it to your circuit.
The LEDs in your circuit should be connected to the output pin, then to a resistor then to the arduino ground.
Then they will light up when you put the output high.
If you can't draw a schematic then take a photo.

jmat1

the problem is fixed, i just had to connect GND and +5V on the arduino to my power supply.

such a small problem and I feel like a fool and a jackass for making this difficult for you guys trying to help me.
I'm sorry for that and I appreciate you helping me get this problem straight

AWOL

Thanks for sticking with it.
It simply isn't possible to judge experience from a post count, so questions may be pitched high at first.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Grumpy_Mike

i just had to connect GND and +5V on the arduino to my power supply.

It is not a good idea to connect the 5V on your power supply to the 5V on the arduino when the 5V is being provided by the USB socket. This is because if the power supply is higher than the USB voltage it will push current up the USB line and upset it. If it is lower then the USB current will be pushed into the power supply.
The old arduinos used to have a link that would select where the power came from. This is not on the modern boards. You might want to have a special USB lead that has a break in the +5V line.

Go Up